PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Change PCM 351

Jake
06-22-2004, 10:56 PM
This may be a novice question, but how do I change/check my fuel filter on my '88 PCM 351 without fuel running all over the place. It appears that if I remove the filter housing, the fuel will be free to flow from the open line.

Any help would be appreciated.

JFP
06-22-2004, 11:06 PM
I have an '86 Sunsport with the same engine (PCM Ford 351), I suspect. You will spill the gas that is in the filter, but that's it. As I recall, simply remove the bolt that holds the filter housing in place and carefully lift the filter canister out and dump it. I would suggest putting a towel or some sort of shallow but wide container underneath to catch as much petrol as possible. The fuel only flows through the line if the engine is running, so you will get no more spill than what is just sitting in that part of the hose. The filter just sits in the housing so it is as simple as lifting the old out and dropping the new one in. Piece of cake.

mfmtb01
06-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Where is the best place to get these filters? Can they be obtained from local auto parts stores or do they have to be purchased from places such as Discount Inboard Marine?

Salty87
06-23-2004, 05:23 PM
depends on what you have. there are older canister style filters that have an element on the inside. there are also water separator filters that look like oil filters.

if yours doesn't look like this: http://www.skidim.com/images/ap6030_THUMBNAIL.jpg

i'd recommend switching to it. yes, skidim is one of the places you can get it. the filters for the older style are hard to find and will only get more difficult. not to mention the older ones are harder to change, the one i showed just spins on and off like an oil filter.