PDA

View Full Version : freezing

JoHNI_T
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I went for a quick dip on the weekend and left the boat as is after. Unfortuneatley tonight its suposed to hit -3 degrees celcius wich is 26.6 F.

Do you guys think I should get the water out??? I could do a quick winterize in the dark and wet snowy cold after work or do you all think it would take like -6 or so to freeze solid??? I work until 9 grrrr....

I have a small bottle of water sitting on the swim deck as my way of knowing for now (pretty chitty test lol),,, its been -3 all day so when I get home if the water bottle is solid I guess I am in trouble,, but I think I am good????

damn weather around here

docdrs
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
you could hang a 40w light under the cover light under the cover..... lift the clam shell or remove back seat, not sure what boat ya have?

brack
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Water bottle on the back , I like that....... guess I shouldn't say it was sunny and 88 today

JoHNI_T
05-05-2010, 09:16 PM
ya doc good idea, I have lil heater but afraid it will burn my cover,, its a 2006 22ssv

i like the light idea, I will open on side of the ballast to the engine and hang a light overnight,, that will work.

I used to have a small heater pad for a aquarium,, I need that again

JoHNI_T
05-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Water bottle on the back , I like that....... guess I shouldn't say it was sunny and 88 today

very sophisticated technology up here in Canada eh.... lol the bottle wont save me but it will keep me from wondering until the boat gets wet again,,, hopefully this sunday...

p.s. its still snowing,,, I am going snowmobiling tomorrow and surf n sunday I hope.

cmtaylor777
05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
DUDE!!!!

Put a heater in there as well as a light. I took a chance this winter and didn't winterize right away. I had a light and a heater in the motor compartment and to make a long story short...My baby is sitting at the Supra dealer as we speak getting the motor replaced. EVERYTHING CRACKED! Block, Manifolds and anything else that had water in it. 5,000 to repair.

Take the time to secure your investment! there are pics of the carnage in my album. Take a look!

JoHNI_T
05-05-2010, 09:53 PM
DUDE!!!!

Put a heater in there as well as a light. I took a chance this winter and didn't winterize right away. I had a light and a heater in the motor compartment and to make a long story short...My baby is sitting at the Supra dealer as we speak getting the motor replaced. EVERYTHING CRACKED! Block, Manifolds and anything else that had water in it. 5,000 to repair.

Take the time to secure your investment! there are pics of the carnage in my album. Take a look!

you are right,, when I get home I will take the time and get as much water out as possible,,, I love doing this chit in the snow lol,,

not worth the gamble,,, be like 10G up here....

cmtaylor777
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
yea man. Trust me.... it blows. I have been jonesing so hard to get out there. It was 90 degrees here today. I'm just sitting here waiting to get her back so I can get out there.

Walmart has a small space heater with a temp. protection shut off. Its like 15 bucks. Small price to pay to save your baby.

docdrs
05-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Walmart has a small space heater with a temp. protection shut off. Its like 15 bucks. Small price to pay to save your baby.

definitely the better way

tg0824SSVGG
05-06-2010, 05:45 AM
And, (as I sit here with a light in MY engine compartment too) - don't forget that the
first thing to freeze would be the heater core if you have a heater ... if you didn't get the
waterr out, (and have a drivers heater) - and didn't also put a light up there, you may
have lost the heater core -- better than the block - but it would still ruin your day
until it's replaced ..

michael hunter
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
I hope you have freeze insurance? The only way to guarantee you are safe is to drain the system and FILL it with antifreeze. Anything less you are rolling the dice.

JoHNI_T
05-08-2010, 01:17 PM
And, (as I sit here with a light in MY engine compartment too) - don't forget that the
first thing to freeze would be the heater core if you have a heater ... if you didn't get thewaterr out, (and have a drivers heater) - and didn't also put a light up there, you may
have lost the heater core -- better than the block - but it would still ruin your day
until it's replaced ..

lol,,, did that 2 years ago on my Moomba,, must have left some water in it,, they freeze easy and crack easy only $180 for a new one.....

well this boat is new to me so as I was playing around and moved the sub out I noticed the heater hoses were routed back to them selves and not through the heater so it wont be frozen but my guess is its already cracked,,, grrr.....

so I put a heater in the engine and ballast compartment and 2 lights under the cover,,, she should be fine,,,,

p.s. the water bottle on the back never frooze at all,, Ireally think it would take -5 or more for 12 hours straight to freeze up but its not worth the gamble,,,

thx guys

JoHNI_T
05-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I hope you have freeze insurance? The only way to guarantee you are safe is to drain the system and FILL it with antifreeze. Anything less you are rolling the dice.

I never use anti freeze,, I am hard enough on the enviroment with the amount of oil and fuel I burn lol....

tg0824SSVGG
05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
John -- RV antifreeze, non-toxic

JoHNI_T
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
John -- RV antifreeze, non-toxic

lol,, I know just bugging,, but I dont use either,,, you just have to be sure you get all the water out,,,

tg0824SSVGG
05-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I only put it in the heater lines, because you just can't tell (and the shower - so it's in the pump) -- the rest, I just drain real good.

JoHNI_T
05-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I only put it in the heater lines, because you just can't tell (and the shower - so it's in the pump) -- the rest, I just drain real good.

yeah good call on the heater lines,,,,, I dont have the shower,, better safe then sorry....

docdrs
05-09-2010, 01:01 AM
-4 centigrade here so i took the hour and drained block ,mani's, vdrive, and blew heater for a piece of mind, the reconnected all so i'm good to go nxt time.......plus i wanted to put some antisieze on my block plugs as they were a bitch to put in in the early spring.............