PDA

View Full Version : Boat driving license in USA

OneCent
05-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi

I'm from switzerland and my brother in law just started to make the swiss boat driving license. That means to learn the theory for a test (60 questions, and max 4 can be wrong) and to prepare for the practice test - thats about 10-15 lessons a 45 minutes (costs are around 90$ per 45min) and ends with a test where you have to proof that you know all the maneuvers. You need the motor boat license if you have more then 6kW.

How is that in the states?

Cheers, OneCent

iwakeboard
05-06-2010, 07:50 AM
I think it varies by state, but in Tennessee a license isn't required at all unless you're under...I want to say 14? There are "Boater Safety Courses" available but they're just available, not required. Unless I've been doing it wrong for 6 years :D

michael hunter
05-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Its generally a free for all here. That's why there are so many wally's without a clue out on the water. I have heard it cost a lot and takes months to get a drivers licence in Germany.
We need to require training here but that seems extreme.

tg0824SSVGG
05-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Several states have started requiring licenses and fees this year for sure. I know North Carolina now has a requirement for drivers of any age.

Much of this, in my opinion, is another way to raise money during the hard times ...

From another forum I monitor:

New North Carolina Boating Law, effective 5-1-2010

Who May Operate a Vessel - Effective May 1, 2010

A person younger than 26 years old may operate a vessel with a motor of 10 horsepower or greater on North Carolina waters only if he or she:

* Completes and passes a boating safety course that is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and accepted by the Wildlife Resources Commission or…
* Is accompanied on board by and under the direct supervision of a person who is at least 26 years old or…
* Is accompanied on board by and under the direct supervision of a person who is at least 18 years old and who has passed an approved boating safety course.

Anyone operating a vessel with a motor of 10 horsepower or greater must:

* Carry on board his or her boater education certification card or other proof of compliance with the new law (see below) and…
* Make the card or other proof available upon request by an enforcement officer.

New Boating Law
For more information and exemptions on the boating law (G.S. 75A -16.2) that becomes effective on May 1, 2010, visit: www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2009/Bills/Senate/PDF/S43v4.pdf

Thats law in Canada now too, All pleasure craft operators have to be licenced now as of sept 2009...but it cost 60 bucks here if you passed.

In Europe you will also need to have a license to operate a water craft. Costs are from 150 € to over 1000

Washington State has a new law too, been phasing it in for a couple years now. I believe everyone under 25 has to have one now, next year the age goes up. It's in the same price range too, $30 course, $10 card.

Mani
05-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Getting your driver's license costs a fortune in Germany. My family and I lived there for nine years in Hamburg, and my mother never bothered getting one. My dad drove when we went out as a family, and public transport took care of the rest.

As far as Texas goes, there's still no boating course requirement. I remember my father renting a boat in Zurich, though, sixteen years ago, and it not requiring a boating license. I'd hate to be the owner of a boat rental when a law like this goes into effect.

KY Steve
05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
I am totally against more government intervention and higher taxes but would support a boaters license.

There are way too many people on the water that have no clue about boating safety, waterway rights or how to operate and handle a boat. It makes it very unsafe for those of us that do understand. I guarantee everyone on this forum has had an idiot boater ride right behind you while being pulled or surfing, it happens to us every time we are out..scary when your young kids are back there. :mad:

I know a lot of it is just common sense, but a requirement would definitely help.

scotthons
05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
As far as I know a license was not required the whole time I was in California and we do not need one in NM. I am not sure that changed since last year. I agree that there are a lot of people out there that do not have a clue. I apologize if anyone is a wave runner owner, but I can not stand those with a passion and I think they should be banned. It seems to me that any 14 year old can hop on one and have the ability to go 70 MPH and be completely reckless. I know there are some responsible drivers out there, but they seem to be few and far between.

tomelenbaas
05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I doubt that requiring a license will accomplish much of anything. The problem isn't the lack of a license - the problem is idiots at the helm (all too often drinking and boating) that don't care about anyone else on the water but them. Maybe it's just my Southern California perspective, but look at all the licensed a**holes driving cars like they're at Daytona. Unfortunately SoCal lakes are just as crowded as the freeways. IMHO the problem is a general lack of courtesy and common sense, and that's something a license doesn't bestow.

California did up the age a few year ago. It used to be you could drive a watercraft (boat or PWC) at age 14, but now you have to be 16 to drive alone. At 12 and up they can drive with an adult. But age really isn't a good indicator. My kids grew up driving boats and PWCs, and at the age of 12 my son was a much better driver than most adults. It's all about being taught correctly. The only possible advantage that requiring a license may bring to the table is the requirement of training and testing.