PDA

View Full Version : Prop Puller

scotthons
05-06-2010, 11:20 AM
My new prop came in yesterday. So I start packing everything up for our trip this weekend. I notice I can not find my prop puller anywhere. I tore threw the garage and shed and nothing. I am about 95% sure I must have given it away when I sold the old boat. I start calling every marine shop in Albuquerque....not that hard since there is only about two of them. No one has a prop puller in stock. I called my mechanic up at the lake and he said he did not have one (I don't really understand that one but whatever). So I go to Harbor Freight and purchase this 2 jaw puller set. It fit between the blades of the prop fine and hooked to the back. So I am going to give it a shot on Saturday when I reunite with the boat. Anyone ever try something like this? It seems I have read mixed reviews.

wotan2525
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Emergency prop pullers:

1) Heat. Just heat the hub up with an acetylene torch. Leave your nut on the end of the shaft because the prop will "pop" off and could hit you.

2) Two by four. Your taking your prop off because it's bent anyway, right? Use a two by four as a giant lever. It will come off.

3) Rubber, 5lb mallet. Hit, spin, hit, spin, hit, spin repeat. Again... leave your nut on the end or the prop will come flying at you. A propane torch will make this go faster.

I've used them all. I think this year I'm going to invest in one of those harmonic prop pullers. They look pretty damn slick.

sybrmike
05-06-2010, 03:51 PM
8" Harbor Freight special took mine right off. Well, I started to question it when the puller was bound up pretty tight, but then gave it one light tap with 3 lb hammer. Glad I left the nut on like Wotan suggested cause it did "pop" off.

scotthons
05-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the advise! The prop is fine, just upgrading to what is supposed to be a much better one. I have the two by four and rubber mallet ready to go. I will give it a whirl without the torch since I do not have one.

Okie Boarder
05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I'd be a little hesitant about the torch method. Aren't you risking hardening the shaft which could encourage fracture down the road?

I'd think the HF puller you got or tapping it off would be a better way to go.

Fman
05-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I just ordered this kit and new spare OJ Fusion prop from Nettle Props. This kit looks real nice, it carries everything you need to pull a prop and hold a spare.

http://www.nettleprops.com/store/p/447-Acme-Traditional-Prop-Puller-Kit.aspx

wotan2525
05-06-2010, 11:56 PM
I'd be a little hesitant about the torch method. Aren't you risking hardening the shaft which could encourage fracture down the road?

I'd think the HF puller you got or tapping it off would be a better way to go.

Not sure about that, but it's the method that my local prop repair guy uses. I figured he's probably done it a few thousand times so it must be somewhat reliable.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Well on my boat the prop had not been removed for YEARS so it was really stuck on good. 2x4 wouldnt work for me, and the 3-arm gear puller that I got did not have fine-enough threads. When I got a real puller it came off in 30 secs hehe!

Okie Boarder
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Same here. I got the puller and mine came right off. I never tried another method, but it certainly was really easy with the proper puller.

jet
05-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Weird but TRUE! You should pull your prop off every year. When I replaced my 3-blade for the 4-blade it was frozen on, The prop guy said when was the last time your prop had been off? And I said 4-5 years. And he said great, this is going to take a while. The key they use rusts and cements the prop to the key. After a hour of trying to get it off, they gave up and I said I'll take it from here. I went home and had it off in 10 mins. But probably a good idea to pull it off in the winter just to make it easier to pull off next time you need to. Jet

scotthons
05-11-2010, 12:19 PM
The two arm puller would not work for me. I ordered a real prop puller and should have it by Friday. So hopefully this weekend I will be able to try out the new prop. I can not wait to see the difference. With the rear sacs filled it was terrible getting the boat to plane again. I ended up just having the the rear sacs filled about 25% and that helped a lot, but still slugish out of the hole.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Better work on those arm curls so you dont get your arms ripped off. Oh and make up a sign that says "Caution: Sit yo butt down" for when you are about to take off. Serious hole shot! Heheheh

natemclain
06-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Does anyone know what the thread size is on a 2002 Launch SSV? I need to remove a damaged prop and replace it with a rebuilt prop that I'm having fixed at Midwest Propeller Services in Olathe, KS when it comes back.
The harmonic puller is interesting... I wouldn't have ever though of trying that.

TIA

Nate

beast 496
06-04-2010, 09:43 PM
All you need is vibration to remove an object on a tapered shaft, ie prop on prop shaft. I have removed props from 12" diam to 24" diam. using this method. No special tools needed. Al