PDA

View Full Version : water leaking around driveshaft

Ironcross25
05-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I can move the chrome seal back and forth and it will stop leaking but tarts once I start do drive, Do I just need a new seal, or packing? What does it involve in changing? Thanks

Ironcross25
05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
its a 86 supra with a pcm 454

dshaff24
05-08-2010, 01:54 AM
I have an 86 sunsport that drips at the same place and everyone seems to think its normal?

You have the same setup as I do so if some kind of solution comes up Please let me know!

I Did just look over mine and the clamps on it was loose so Ill see when it hits the water if It still leaks

Salty87
05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
the silver ring on the drive shaft needs to compress the rubber boot. the pressure created by the ring keeps water out. it's also possible to get debris between the 2 and it can't make a seal. so check for any crap in there. also see if either of the 2 faces are scarred badly. they don't last forever.

if everything looks clear and clean, slide the ring back so the rubber boot compresses at least 1/4" then tighten the set screws. it should be good. i've had to change my rubber boot though, they too will wear out eventually. the system is made by PSS, search and you'll find their site. they're helpful.

riveredge
05-09-2010, 11:57 PM
a good short description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuffing_box