PDA

View Full Version : Reverse question

ericmichaels
05-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Any time I am in reverse in my 02 ssv it always turns the back to the starboard side. Is this normal in a v drive or should I actually be able to control which way I back up? I can turn the wheel either direction and it doesnt change my direction in reverse at all. If this isnt normal does any one know what might cause this?

Thanks,
Eric

ScottnAz
05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Completely normal...
Remember that fact when pulling up to a dock or to pick up a downed rider, kick it in reverse for a second(s) and swing the transom around for a nice stop.

tg0824SSVGG
05-09-2010, 12:06 AM
That's the way an inboard works -- (unless you have a natique, then it goes the other way)

You must have learned in an I/O (as did I).

The water is PUSHED thru the rudder going forward, when you "pull it thru", it just
doesn't work like you expect. You are subject to the rotation of the prop.

You will figure it out, after a while, you can put the rear end anywhere you want.
Sometimes it helps to bump it forward and backwards to ease the back end around.

Todd

jaywidhalm
05-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Yep...completely normal. In fact once you get used to it, it makes for super smooth approaches to the dock, and nice pick ups after skiing or riding. You will learn to love it after a while!