PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Setup. I dont want to have to use a head unit.

04Gravity
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, I just want to be able to plug my MP3 player into my amps but I realize I need an equalizer. What is a decent cheap one to buy?> I dont need anything fancy like the wetsounds. Looking to be under $80 preferably. here is what I have bought so far.

Sony xm-604m 4 channel amp (powering 4 polk db651's)
Sony GTX-1852 2 chanel amp (powering 1 Polk DVC 10" Sub)

What should I get?

jonyb
05-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Mikey will tell you to get the Clarion, and that's fine, but you'll have about 1.5V going to the amps, so don't expect it to sound like much. Without a head unit, you're starting off with a crappy signal.

04Gravity
05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
How can I get a better signal? Im trying to do this to save money, so I guess if I have to spend $200 on an edqualizer, I may as well go with a head unit instead. Whats a decent head unit thats cheap?

04Gravity
05-09-2010, 07:46 PM
How can I get a better signal? Im trying to do this to save money, so I guess if I have to spend $200 on an edqualizer, I may as well go with a head unit instead. Whats a decent head unit thats cheap?

87SunSportMikeyD
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Obviously Jony is the pro - he does stereos for a living. I have only installed one stereo, mine. I went by the recommendations of many happy boaters on WakeWorld as well as the positive reviews all over amazon and the reviews at the link below for the product.

Jony says it gives 1.5V to the amps however the reviews and product info states it delivers up to 7V. (Maximum Output Level: 7V RMS). Again I never claimed to be a pro, just passing on what I have seen others do, please feel free to research the Clarion on WakeWorld before considering it.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductReview.aspx?ProductID=16889

04Gravity
05-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys. Mikey, thats exactly what I was looking for. Just ordered it!

87SunSportMikeyD
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
If you are not happy with the end result, you can always add a head unit at a later date. No offense to you Jony and I *do* have a desire to understand stereos more and I am interested in hearing your comments.

jonyb
05-12-2010, 10:13 AM
For some reason I thought the Clarion just had the standard 2V output.

Things it does have
*dual-zone eq to control the tone of the tower speakers independently from the boat speakers
*volume control to turn the stereo up and down
*separate volume control for the tower and the in-boats (not a fader)
*microphone that plays only through the tower speakers
*dual illumination
*boatlink aux. output
*aux input
*partially sealed faceplate
*12V line-driver

Copy from WS:

The WS 420 is 2 separate equalizers in one half din chassis using our exclusive knob/ring system which allows you to independently control the volume and EQ adjustments of both in boat and tower speakers. There is also a separate knob/ring for the subwoofer gain control and frequency adjustment. The WS420 also includes a talk back microphone for rider communication. The level of the talk back microphone is independent from your music level allowing you to adjust the volume for the PA function. (The knob/ring for the microphone is fixed to operate as one control) The microphone feature only plays thru the tower speakers. When the microphone is keyed up, the music is muted for announcements. After the key is released, the music will resume at previous level.

1. Main Volume. Outside Ring= Volume Control for the tower speakers. Inside Knob=Volume Control for the in boat speakers/subwoofers.

2. Microphone Volume. Adjusts the volume of the talkback microphone. (you will need to test your system to determine the maximum volume achievable without feedback. Turning the microphone volume level up very high can result in feedback. It is recommended to find the maximum level for the microphone and leave the control set at this level)

3. Input Selector Switch. This switch selects between the main input or auxiliary input

4. Illumination. This switch selects between Red or Blue background Illumination.

5. Subwoofer Boost/Frequency. The knob adjusts the subwoofer boost. The ring adjusts the subwoofer frequency.

6. Equalizer Adjustments. These 4 controls adjust the four separate frequencies (bass, mid bass, mid, high) Offering 12 dB of cut/boost. The outside ring adjusts the frequencies for the tower speakers while the inside ring adjusts the frequencies for the in boat speakers.

7. Auxiliary Input. 3.5 mm aux input jack for MP3 player or additional source.

8. Boat Link™ 3.5 mm aux output jack. For linking with other WS 420 equipped boats.

9. Microphone Input. Microphone input for Wet Sounds talk back microphone.

10. Main Input Gain Adjustment. Remove the covers to access the Phillips head adjustments to set the gain levels.

11. Aux Input Gain Adjustments. Remove the covers to access the Phillips head adjustments to set the gain levels.

Settings & Installation

Mid Bass Equalizer Frequency 300 Hz
Mid Equalizer Frequency 2 Khz
Parametric Equalizer Range +/- 12 dB
S/N Ratio 80 dB REF 1V Input
Frequency Response 10 Hz - 40 Khz, -3dB
Maximum Output Voltage 12V RMS
T.H.D. 0.05%
Input Impedance 20 K Ohms
Stereo Separation 80 dB/1 Khz
Subwoofer Frequency Range 30 Hz - 300 Hz

http://www.wetsounds.com/media/products/ws420/spec.png

04Gravity
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Jony, am I correct in saying the wetsounds is $240? Or is it cheaper?

dusty2221
05-13-2010, 11:16 AM
jony has me sold on the ws420, eventually i'll pull the trigger on it.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Of course it's better! Kinda just depends on your budget. I put my whole stereo together for under $500 including tower speakers and it rawks me.

jzelt
05-13-2010, 01:00 PM
I know Dusty...
I hate reading jonyb posts because then I want...I want...
I researched it and it will do exactly what the admiral wants...(control sound in zones... I like the bass, she doesn't. I can't hear the speakers when I'm in the bow... she doesn't want to...

Is it worth the asking price or just live with what we have... That is the answer.

I was happy having the tower speakers, but now that I am back there boarding, she doesn't want to turn it up loud enough to hear. I am already over on spending and need to be happy with what I have until next winter... but I want it now...

87SunSportMikeyD
05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
With the Clarion you can still control volume to two zones using the fader knob. Easy to turn the tower up and the cabins down. Maybe take the money you save and buy the Trident HSE autovolume control. :)

But with a newer boat, if you have high priced tower speakers, I would keep using similar high-performance parts.

jonyb
05-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Jony, am I correct in saying the wetsounds is $240? Or is it cheaper?
It retails for $299.

On the Clarion, you don't "turn the tower up". You turn the radio or source unit up, then fade from front to rear.