PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE 1986 SUPRA TS6M motor cover issue

Bilotto11301
05-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Ok guys we got it running now and running strong.. I have narrowed it down to the motor cover... When the cover is off the boat WILL NOT shut down.. its not until I put the cover on and run it does it shut down.. Its almost like the fumes are getting trapped under the cover and its vapor locking... where do I start.

dusty2221
05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
You you have a blower?

Bilotto11301
05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes I have one not sure how good it works... I have never had to use it before though.. my boat never sits up i run it almost every week...

dusty2221
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
The blower is used to get the exhaust fumes out of the motor and bilge area. Check and make sure it woks and check the tubing to make sure it is connected. If it all looks good, run the boat wit hthe blower on and see what happens.

Bilotto11301
05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I was told the blower is just used for when the motor sits for a long time.. I have never had to use the blower, I dont understand why all of a sudden I would have to strart running it with the blower on.. or w/out a cover.. or everytime I start it..

Okie Boarder
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
The blower is designed to remove gas fumes from the engine area in case something sparks in there so you don't go "BOOM". Many will recommend running it anytime you are about to fire up the motor and when you are at idle or slow speeds when natural air flow is limited in the bilge area.

I'm not sure how it contributes to your problem other than fumes causing vapor lock or something, but it would be a good idea to consider using it regularly for the reason above.

dusty2221
05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
I typically use mine when we are idling around, or waiting for a downed skier to get the rope then turn it off while underway

when i remember to turn it off...lol

Okie Boarder
05-11-2010, 04:43 PM
We forget to turn ours off a lot of times too. I figure I'd rather forget to turn it off than to forget to turn it on.

saltare inverts
05-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I love to turn mine on when a girl is peeing on the platform. They always think I started the motor and they stand up naked. I cant help it, its so funny.

sybrmike
05-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Talk about vapor lock - that's just wrong...

Bilotto11301
05-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Ok so by not having my motor cover on, its pretty much giving the motor and automatic blower? My blower dont work, I dont hear a sound or anything when I turn the switch on..... But I've never had to use it before..... and have ran the boat alot.. I think its something else...

Okie Boarder
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I love to turn mine on when a girl is peeing on the platform. They always think I started the motor and they stand up naked. I cant help it, its so funny.

That's funny right there. I gotta try that one.

jet
05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Bilotto. I have always been worried about having enough air in the engine department and I was this close to starting a thread on it, so THANKS. At 4500-5000 rpms you need a ton of air. Your air comes from the back vents of the dog house on older models 87 and below?? They have the little silver dollar vents, but on my model all of the air comes from the front of the boat. I rebuilt my dog house 2"-3" taller so I have more air in mine. Now I have been wanting to run more air back to it from a better hood scoop or something? Or use a blower to push more air in the dog house?? What do you guys think? Jet

saltare inverts
05-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Jet it sure wouldnt hurt. You should try a B&M blower belt driven. That will boost yor air atleast 12psi.

jet
05-12-2010, 04:02 PM
OK, GOT IT! :lol: Jet

wotan2525
05-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Bilotto -- Go back to the basics. Every boat needs gas, spark, and air. If yours is having problems it's one of those 3. On yours it is obvious that it is air -- let's follow the path that the air takes and you can troubleshoot where there's a problem.

1) it comes in through the vents on the side of the window. these vents have 2 screws to remove them and there is a plastic carrier on the inside with some 3" tubing connected to it. I'll bet you $10 that your tubing is rotten and/or completely missing. They aren't hard to replace but I wouldn't necessarily assume that is your problem. When I rebuilt mine these hoses had long been decayed.

2) From there the hoses go down into the bilge area in the very center of the boat, nearly even with the windshield. Check and see if this area is clogged with leaves or other BS.

3) From there the air flows through the bilge and into the air cleaner/spark arrestor. Is yours clean? Pick up a new one or clean it if it's resuable. You can try running your engine with the air cleaner off and the engine cover on if you want to test it.

4) Carb. If everything else fails, you are having a carb issue.

Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with fuel vapors. It's related to the fresh air not making it to your engine. Good luck and keep us updated.

04Gravity
05-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Bilotto -- Go back to the basics. Every boat needs gas, spark, and air. If yours is having problems it's one of those 3. On yours it is obvious that it is air -- let's follow the path that the air takes and you can troubleshoot where there's a problem.

1) it comes in through the vents on the side of the window. these vents have 2 screws to remove them and there is a plastic carrier on the inside with some 3" tubing connected to it. I'll bet you $10 that your tubing is rotten and/or completely missing. They aren't hard to replace but I wouldn't necessarily assume that is your problem. When I rebuilt mine these hoses had long been decayed.

2) From there the hoses go down into the bilge area in the very center of the boat, nearly even with the windshield. Check and see if this area is clogged with leaves or other BS.

3) From there the air flows through the bilge and into the air cleaner/spark arrestor. Is yours clean? Pick up a new one or clean it if it's resuable. You can try running your engine with the air cleaner off and the engine cover on if you want to test it.

4) Carb. If everything else fails, you are having a carb issue.

Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with fuel vapors. It's related to the fresh air not making it to your engine. Good luck and keep us updated.

+1 My thoughts exactly

87SunSportMikeyD
05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Kickass post Wotan, thanks that is super nice