PDA

View Full Version : Wiring options for Tower - Speakers - Lights - Led's

dshaff24
05-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Im Just wondering what everyone does for wiring with all the accessarys? I got polk double blunt tower speakers - 3 light light bar and I want to add some kind of Dome led style light to shine down,

I noticed wiring kits with through hull plugs but they only run 2 speaker wires

And I have a krypt fat tube tower but Im not to keen on drilling into it to run wires but Im not sure how I want to go about this Yet, I got time to dwell on it till I get the tower back from being powdercoated

jonyb
05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I'd have to see that tower first, but there's probably only one way to get wires from the top to the bottom, and that's by drilling holes.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-12-2010, 11:36 AM
You will have to drill at couple holes in the tower but that isn't so bad. The wires will look very professional coming out the hole and the hole itself has a grommett for finishing.

Most people recommend running speakers and high-power tower lights on opposite sides of the tower to avoid wire crosstalk. LED's, etc are ok to run alongside speakers.

After using the thru-hull quick-disconnect I really would not recommend it. You can find ones that work with 8 leads but this is still probably not enough for what you want. You have to drill a decent sized hole through the top of the gunwale. Also the quality of the quick-connector is not that great, the terminals are getting corroded already on mine.

The only time you really need to disconnect the tower speakers completly is if you were to remove your tower. You could still cut the wire and then re-splice it where it is hidden if you had to. I would just have the wires exit the tower and then enter the gunwale through a small hole with no quick-disconnect.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3519/medium/Picture_004.jpg

jzelt
05-12-2010, 12:15 PM
If you do the disconnect, I would recommend drilling the hole into the gunnel on the side so the water doesn't get in there and sit.

Ours is drilled thru the tower (again, on a side, not top. Grommets can be found at home supply store. I would recommend seeing what sizes they have before drilling an odd sized hole to find out they don't have that size grommet.