PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump

krisvan13
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi everyone my father has purchased an 89 Saltaire she is beutiful and we have the trailer rebuilt and painted so she is ready to be lowered out of drydock.The problem is we hooked up the plunger to the water intake to fire her up and wtf no water coming out of the exhaust it looked like water wasn't getting to the engine at all it was spraying out of the plunger so we shut her down.So i guess i am wondering does the water pump use a thermostat to kick in or is there a diffrent set up 4 the fresh and salt water she is from Arizona and we are up here in saskatchewan.plzzzz help(scuse the ignorance)

Supra-in-steamboat
05-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Congrats on the purchase- have you checked the impeller? It is inside the water pump. If it is worn bad/broken it won't work well if at all. When i use the plunger, i have to really work at getting the seal. Seems when it sprays alot out of one side, it doesn't allow proper suction. Hope this helps and good luck.

michael hunter
05-13-2010, 10:05 PM
The raw water pump on your engine should look like this picture. Remove the hose at the hull you should have room to place a small bucket in the bilge next to the drive shaft . Put the hose and the garden hose in the bucket fill the bucket 1/2 way and start the engine. Adjust the water to keep the bucket 1/2 filled. If it doesn't suck up the water remove the pump, remove the three bolts,split the 2 haves and look at the impeller.
MARK THE PUMP BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT . If you put it on upside down it wont work.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Suprawinterize009.jpg

beast 496
05-14-2010, 08:48 AM
In the marine world we use the terminalogy as, circulation pump, and raw water pump. The circulation pump, cirlulates the water around the block and heads, the raw water pump sucks water from the lake or sea and pumps it into the engine block or heat exchanger. If you have a 454 the raw water pump is on the lower starboard side front of the engine, the pump has two nipples coming from the bottom. Check and replace the impellor, if pieces are missing, you need to investigate the thermostat housing and find them. Al

krisvan13
05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys got the pump off and the impeller shot but the part is in today from vancover!!!!So will put it all back togethar and give her a shot.I don't have a thermostat up there and i think i won't put one in i am running synthetic.I have this 88 saltaire in drydock in my back yerd you guys should see this lady just hangin out WILD(replaced bunks and painted).Will keep ya posted or more importantlly will ask more if i run into somthig else.But really does it ever stop?

ngavchris
05-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Pictures?????

krisvan13
05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
immpeler replaced and lady rumbles THANK YOU dudes!