PDA

View Full Version : Wont Fire??

Spievy79
05-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Hello all, I do not have any photos up yet I just bought my Conbrio last Friday. At any rate it's extremely clean motor, boat interior is a 9 out of 10. I had been wanting one for some time and finally bought it.....now for the bad news....As I said I bought it just under a week ago test drive went very well, all guages worked, oil pressure was excellent temp at 160ish, volts, you name it. I went out today for the maiden voyage :mad:....At first it cranked fired wouldn't stay running I kept having to give it gas and by the time I almost had it going the battery went. The battery was from '06 so I went and bought a new one. Came back to the launch and it cranked and cranked and cranked and would not fire at all this time. This continued until the new battery was on it's way out, so I brought it home and put it on a charge. I cleaned all the battery terminals and ground. Checked dash fuses, got it in my garage in the dark and have spark. I can physically watch the carb juicing when I pump the throttle. I tried some starting fluid and nothing just cranks and cranks. Anyone have any simple things I might be overlooking?? I do not have a safety switch that I can see or find? Any help is appreciated. -Joel

Okie Boarder
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure if all of them have a safety, but it is possible it is in gear causing it to not turn over.

Otherwise, start doing the basic checks. Check for ignition spark, fuel and air flow.

michael hunter
05-15-2010, 07:02 AM
What year? what engine? Is it still using points? How did you check for spark? It ran fine befor you bought it? What did you do since?

Supra-in-steamboat
05-15-2010, 08:59 AM
When you did the test drive- was the boat all ready to go for you, or did you get to start it cold? At any rate, congrats on the new boat- post some more info- good luck

OUI
05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
The coil maybe bad. Even though you see a spark it may not be a strong enough of a spark to fire. Check the spark at the coil wire, it should be able to jump about an inch and be a crisp blue in color, not yellow.

jzelt
05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
You are not just putting it in gear to give it gas to start?
If you have good enough spark, then fuel would be the next place I would look. (possibly pull a fuel line from the pump and see what it is pushing out into a jar).
If you had a kill switch, you wouldn't get any spark if it wasn't working correctly.

Spievy79
05-17-2010, 11:01 PM
I ended up calling them in the morning and taking it up there and it was fixed at no charge. Turned out to be running too rich....the butterflies were fully closed which I failed to realize and they installed a new ignition switch in it. I took it out and it ran perfect!! Thanks for everyone's input. BTW, it is a 1989 Conbrio w/ a 351 Cleveland and 420 hours. Green in color with a customer trailer.

beast 496
05-20-2010, 08:16 AM
The Conbrio's are great boats, but you engine is not a "Cleveland" It is a 351 Windsor. Big differance. No Clevelands were put in Supra's. Parts are not interchangable either. The 351 Windsor is a great solid engine. I have always liked the looks of the Conbrio. Good luck Al