PDA

View Full Version : milky V drive oil??

JoHNI_T
05-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I picked up a 2006 22SSV 2 months ago, I had my local dealer run it up to temp and confirm everything was ok, it checked out fine.

I took the boat for a 30 minute run over a week ago and last night I noticed when going over the boat the v drive oil is milky??

any idea's, no obvious cracks or leaks and the oil level is normal so its not much water in there?

my dealer says the only way to check it out is to pull v drive and crack it open???

this suks, we just got warm weather. and it wont be cheap to pull this v drive.

tg0824SSVGG
05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
ouch - but milky oil means water -- and water means DEATH if left unchecked.

Is the dealer saying they missed this during their check?

JoHNI_T
05-14-2010, 12:31 PM
ouch - but milky oil means water -- and water means DEATH if left unchecked.

Is the dealer saying they missed this during their check?

well I was their when they ran it up,, and I know he checked engine oil after running to temp but I cant remember him checking v drive,, but he says that of course they checked it because that is part of looking it over, then he drained water for me and re winterized as it was end of feb and left all hoses and plugs out.

grrrrr

suprava10
05-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I would check your v drive oil cooler. I have a direct drive and am familiar with that setup and that sounds like a classic oil cooler failure but I am unsure of how the v drive setup gets cooled...

Good luck!

saltare inverts
05-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I bet its your oil cooler also. That happened to me.

JoHNI_T
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
thx guys,, do you have to pull the v drive to fix cooler??? still waiting for call from dealer,

iwakeboard
05-16-2010, 01:09 PM
You should try cycling fresh oil through it a few times before tearing down your v-drive. When I bought my 24SSV it had milky v-drive oil and the red indicator light would stay on at running speeds. I took the plug out at the bottom of the v-drive and let it sit over night draining. Ran fresh oil in to it, ran the boat and the light still stayed on and oil was still milky but not as much. Did the process two more times and mine's clear as a bell now and the light is never on except for at neutral. Apparently mine sat for a long time with the plug in so water accumulated in the bilge (no battery hooked up for bilge pump) and got into the v-drive oil.

Engine Nut
05-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I picked up a 2006 22SSV 2 months ago, I had my local dealer run it up to temp and confirm everything was ok, it checked out fine.

I took the boat for a 30 minute run over a week ago and last night I noticed when going over the boat the v drive oil is milky??

any idea's, no obvious cracks or leaks and the oil level is normal so its not much water in there?

my dealer says the only way to check it out is to pull v drive and crack it open???

this suks, we just got warm weather. and it wont be cheap to pull this v drive.

The most common way to get water in a Walter V-drive is a leak at the gasket that is under the cover that the oil dipstick goes through. Under that cover is a water chamber and sometimes we see water from the water chamber run down the dipstick hole and into the v-drive. The external trans cooler that is in the 1 1/4" water inlet line and located between the raw water pump and thermostat housing only cools the shifting transmission. Generally a leak in that cooler puts trans oil into the cooling water and not water in the oil because the oil pressure of the trans oil is higher than the water pressure. I would carefully remove the cover and put a little sealant around the dipstick hole in the v-drive and the water chamber cover.

JoHNI_T
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
thx a lot guys, Larry great expanation,

as said above I am thinking the same thing happened to mine sitting over time somehow water got in there,,

pulled nut and drained added some more oil to try and flush, ran for a half hour still milky but looked slightly better,

drained again and sprayed wd40 as per my local tech, filled again and it seems great after a hour run.

thx for all the info.

and thanks gosh I am not doing any major work.

surf pics to come