PDA

View Full Version : Starter Issue

iwakeboard
05-16-2010, 01:04 PM
It'll click on me and not turn over from time to time, including Friday. If I tap on the starter with a wrench it'll almost always turn over (for now). I want to get it fixed before events start to take place this summer and we go out alot more. I don't know if it's the solenoid or the starter, when I get back down to my boat I'm going to check the connections to make sure they're mated up tight. I rebuilt the starter on my old boat and it was cake, may end up doing that. Anybody know how to test whether it's the starter or the solenoid on these?

Fman
05-16-2010, 04:36 PM
It'll click on me and not turn over from time to time, including Friday. If I tap on the starter with a wrench it'll almost always turn over (for now). I want to get it fixed before events start to take place this summer and we go out alot more. I don't know if it's the solenoid or the starter, when I get back down to my boat I'm going to check the connections to make sure they're mated up tight. I rebuilt the starter on my old boat and it was cake, may end up doing that. Anybody know how to test whether it's the starter or the solenoid on these?

It is the solenoid sticking if you can get it to break free with a tap from a wrench. If it was the starter, tapping on it would not do anything.

beast 496
05-16-2010, 08:00 PM
You have a gear reduction, permanant magnet starter. Just replace, these are now so cheap to buy, not worth the time of rebuilding. Al

OUI
05-16-2010, 08:22 PM
It could be the starter. If the starter has a flat spot it wont move unless you tap it to move it from the flat spot. take it to a rebuilder to have it tested.

michael hunter
05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Its more than likely the brushes. If you are not experienced with the inside of starters just replace it as Beast suggested.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
We had the exact same problem with out starter. The solenoid would not engage. We just bought a new unit.

iwakeboard
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, any idea where to get a starter or the solenoid? I had a local guy tell me he thought the whole starter would be in the $300ish range, after shelling out alot of $$$ to fix my trailer I was hoping to avoid spending that much on replacing something I could repair myself.

beast 496
05-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Less than $200 plus shipping. Al