PDA

View Full Version : ballast problems

canadianpride
05-16-2010, 05:46 PM
I just bought a 2005 supra launch 22ssv, and finally got to take it on the maiden voyage yesterday! the boat is amazing and exceeds my expectations. my problem came when we were done for the day. i went to drain the ballast bags, the front and left side drained perfect, but the right bag would not drain. i finally pulled the plug and let it drain into the bilage. Any thoughts on where to start looking into this problem would be great! we are new to all these high tech gadgets.

canadianpride

Fman
05-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Try this...

(1) Check to make sure your RULE pump is coming on, its in the rear engine compartment area. Sometimes they will develop an air pocket and you need to turn them on/off a few times to get it to prime. Once you have done this it does not seem to happen again until you remove the boat from the water.

(2) Those pumps can also become clogged with debris which will cause them to not prime correctly and not flow.

(3) If you are not getting power to the pump, check your fuse panel under the dash. (3 amp fuses, I replaced them with 5 amp)

(4) Check for kinks in the drain line, it happened to me a few times before I realized this was the problem. The weight of the bag can cause the line to kink. To fix this install the kink-free ribbed bilge line wakemakers sells, never has happened since I did this.

(5) If the pump needs replaced, you can use a Tsunami 800 in place of the RULE 750. About $30 for a new one.

Good luck, hope this helps.

jzelt
05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
One other thing to Fman's about air in the line. We had an issue where our one wouldn't drain even after turning it on/off/on/off. I went into the pump and pushed it down 1/2 inch and it started siphoning again.

Everything else is what I would check/do.

canadianpride
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the responses, ends up i did have a blown fuse. But my fuses are 10 amp. which seems high, but i will see how it goes.

mistyvandever
06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
My stock Rule pumps get air in them every time I drain them. I replaced the center sac drain pump with an Atwood (Tsunami) and it has yet to do anything but drain the sac completely. In my opinion Supra should quit using the Rule pumps all together. Literally, every single time I drain the rear sacs I get air in the pumps and have to switch on/off/on/off to get it to prime. In addition I have to pull the front of the sac up and make sure there is plenty of water at the rear of the sac to keep the Rule's running. Even if the sac is halfway full the pump will mysteriously 'unprime' (for lack of a better word) and I have to on/off/on/off and have someone hold the sac up at the front. As the drain line is on the bottom of the sac this really shouldn't be happening.

I ride an 08 21v