PDA

View Full Version : Z5 convertible top

Fman
05-17-2010, 05:29 PM
I see on there website they have the new convertible style top which is a great upgrade being able to remove a large portion of the top to allow sunlight. Does anyone know if this is available for the Supra? The Z5 website has it for the Mastercraft. I put in an email to them but have heard nothing back, was curious if anyone here is running the convertible Z5.

tg0824SSVGG
05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
I also emailed them Travis -- no response here either, which is odd, because they
had been VERY responsive to emails in the past.

I bet it takes a different frame or somthing ... Let us know what you find out.

I even went to the dealer to see if any of the new Supra's had it - and they don't, so
I don't know what that means.

Todd

Fman
05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Tried placing a call to them again today and no luck, hope to get a call back soon. I am trying to get some extra pins just incase I ever loose one.

Fman
05-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Just got off the phone with Ray at Z5, no go with the convertible top for Supra. Only MC has the convertible Z5 option right now. He said it is very expensive for the MC convertible top. This winter I might take my top over to my canvas guy and see what he can come up with to create my own convertible top.

I did get some pins sent out free of charge.

tg0824SSVGG
05-18-2010, 03:49 PM
thanks for letting me know. When I talked to him last year, he also sent me
the "trailiering" mod kit -- for free, but I can't figure out how to mount it - and
follow-up requests were not responded to ...

Fman
05-19-2010, 01:07 AM
thanks for letting me know. When I talked to him last year, he also sent me
the "trailiering" mod kit -- for free, but I can't figure out how to mount it - and
follow-up requests were not responded to ...

I recieved the same kit and had the same problem, I cant figure out how to install the front straps. I did add a couple extra straps I put on the rear corners of the Z5 that attach to the grab handle that tighten everything up, I will take some pics when I have the top on again, it works well.

Does anyone else here have picture of how to mount the front straps that Z5 is installing on the '09+ tops?

jeilers1
05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
This kit he sent me came with 2 straps and 2 eyelits that I mounted to the tower legs. I screwed the eyelits into the front tower legs approx 12-18" from the base ( I believe) The straps wrap around the front edges of the z5 frame where there is about a 3-4" cutout in the canvas on both sides and then clip to the eyelits mounted on the tower legs and tighten by pushing slightly down on the z5 to achieve some strap tension. They work very well, I've towed many trips with the straps on. I'd also recommend putting a twist or two in the straps to fight the wind.

Fman
05-19-2010, 03:12 PM
This kit he sent me came with 2 straps and 2 eyelits that I mounted to the tower legs. I screwed the eyelits into the front tower legs approx 12-18" from the base ( I believe) The straps wrap around the front edges of the z5 frame where there is about a 3-4" cutout in the canvas on both sides and then clip to the eyelits mounted on the tower legs and tighten by pushing slightly down on the z5 to achieve some strap tension. They work very well, I've towed many trips with the straps on. I'd also recommend putting a twist or two in the straps to fight the wind.

Got any pics? I have the same kit. Pics would be great.

tg0824SSVGG
05-19-2010, 03:13 PM
2nd on the request for pics

Do you take the COVER off?

Fman
05-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Ray at Z5 said its not necessary to remove the top from the frame, I have never removed the cover and tow with it all the time, its a 3 1/2 hour drive to Shasta and I never had a problem last year at 65+ MPH. The extra rear straps I made does take a little of the slop out which holds it very tight. I'll shoot some pics when its on the boat again, got the straps at REI with the plastic buckles then cut them down to size. I might even look at doing this with the front. The kit he sent me requires drilling into the tower legs which I am not a big fan of.