PDA

View Full Version : Trailering Full Sacs

Chachi
05-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Just have a quick question. I was wondering if any of you guys trailer your boat with your fat sacs or other ballast bags full. My guess is no considering they add a ton of extra weight to the already heavy trailer load. I have 2 550lb sacs now and have never filled them. I also have an uber pump (I believe 1100gph) and dont know how long it will take to fill them. This is my first wakeboat and using a setup like this. I was just looking to save time. Also, when do you empty your bags? While yo are in the water waiting at the launch? Or after you have your boat on the trailer?

Thanks,

Chris

iwakeboard
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Chris,

I start emptying bags as soon as everyone is done riding, if we're surfing and I have extra bags full I start emptying them too. I don't think you should ever trailer your boat with any more weight than you have to. I'll usually flip the empty switches and we'll all just hang out and drink a beer while they empty. You can also empty on the run back to the dock obviously, but wouldn't trailer it or put it on the trailer if you can avoid it.

Chachi
05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Sweet! Thanks for the info! Would that work the same with emptying the bags with an uber pump? It seems like a lot more work with a pump and tube than just hitting your ballast switches. I totally wish I had that ammenity!

jet
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Dont do it man, Its not a option. Hey, you want to sell those 550's??

KG's Supra24
05-18-2010, 11:35 AM
You can also empty on the run back to the dock obviously, but wouldn't trailer it or put it on the trailer if you can avoid it.

I've been wondering this for a while, there is no problem running 30mph's while emptying? I idle when filling, does anyone fill with boat turned off? Wasn't sure how it drained tha battery.

As for your question, I wouldn't trailer with the extra weight. It's not too difficult to drain. I'm no expert but I'd say you can fill empty within 5 minutes per side.

iwakeboard
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I've been wondering this for a while, there is no problem running 30mph's while emptying? I idle when filling, does anyone fill with boat turned off? Wasn't sure how it drained tha battery.

As for your question, I wouldn't trailer with the extra weight. It's not too difficult to drain. I'm no expert but I'd say you can fill empty within 5 minutes per side.

I've never had a problem emptying at speed, I usually don't get going till the bags are atleast half empty just because 3300lbs of extra weight makes the boat a slug at running speed. I always leave the boat on when filling, so I'm not sure what kind of battery drainage you'll get. I find the bags fill alot faster under speed as opposed to sitting, but if I'm filling surf weight I have to sit still because the portable pump will come out of the water if I don't.

KG's Supra24
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I fill at a slow idle. Do you fill at higher speeds tan that?

87SunSportMikeyD
05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Chachi lets hook you up a ballast system this summer! a Simer and some ribbed 1" or 3/4" tubing and lets do it! Simple simple!

iwakeboard
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I fill at a slow idle. Do you fill at higher speeds tan that?

Yea, I fill on the run pretty regularly, anywhere between 20-30mph even.

Fman
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
You can run the aerator style pumps bone dry forever without damaging them, as others mentioned draining on your way back into the dock works great to gravity feed all the water to exit through the drain hole. You can also drain out more water when the boat is on the trailer on the ramp.

If you are using JABSCO pumps running them dry will burn up the impeller.

jzelt
05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
We fill our two rear bags 1/4 to 1/2 full before putting it on the trailer. I notice that since doing that, it goes on the boat buddy smoother since the nose raises up. Then we drain them in the parking lot while wiping down the boat and taking things out for the day.

JoHNI_T
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM
We fill our two rear bags 1/4 to 1/2 full before putting it on the trailer. I notice that since doing that, it goes on the boat buddy smoother since the nose raises up. Then we drain them in the parking lot while wiping down the boat and taking things out for the day.

I noticed that as well,, the front seems a bit low on my o6 with the water hitting the wheels wells... and any deeper in and my nose is too low and any higher out of water I cant power up the trailer.

I sometimes leave my fat sack that I pump with a ubber pump I think, weighs 440lbs and I will leave it in the boat sometimes, I only trailer 5 minutes at 50km/hour.

it takes me about 5 minutes to 80% fill the bag (I have 2) and it takes a tad longer to empty, at 80% full 2 guys can usually drag it to the edge of the boat to empty off the side instead of hooking up pump its in a duffle bag thing, my attachment is broken so its a pain and sometimes I get wet a bit filling...

new solution thanks to docdrs and ssmith I have oredered 2 x 1100lb bags coming my way so no more messing around,,, I may still leave 300lbs sitting on the floor

happy riding

2 stock 350;s for sale shortly,, in Canada AB

Chachi
05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks so much for the info and heads up guys! Mikey, I would be totally down for hooking up a simmer pump! I noticed thats what you did in one of your older threads. Are you just running one simmer pump to fill all your bags? Currently the boat is being painted ( I can't wait to get it back!) then off to the mechanic to see why it won't start. We will keep in touch on this project and it sounds RAD!

Thanks Again Guys!

Chris

wotan2525
05-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Mikey -- I don't want to thread jack but I know you're somewhat of an expert on ballast systems. I'm building an aeretor system right now and I'm wondering how/what I can do to keep the bags from filling while moving. I've got a scupper (same one that the engine uses, but on the other side) and it seems like the water would be pushed into this, past the aerator and into the bag.... would their not be enough pressure to do this? I don't want to mess with manual valves if possible.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Chachi - I even have an extra Simer pump for you, since you're local. :) Get your sacs ready! Dont get the clear home depot hose.

Wotan - I am not an expert at aerator systems but I have done plenty of research. From what I have seen the scupper should provide just enough pressure to prime the pumps without filling the sacs. Sorry but I can't really put my trust in that tooo much as I dont have that type of system. If it becomes a problem I have heard of people putting spring check-valves in the line.

wotan2525
05-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks -- I guess I will build it first. If I run into problems, then I'll solve them. That's how I've done everything else on the boat so why start with extensive planning now, right?

Any word on dates for the MN Supra Meet up this year?

docdrs
05-19-2010, 09:48 PM
wotan , go to the moomba site there is a lot of ballast setup info. The bags will auto fill with a scupper when your moving unless you a sprinkler valve or other valve to close it, or drill holes in the back of the scupper. If you go to a mushroom or flush intake then the bags will self empty so a oneway valve or vented loops are needed

Chachi
05-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Mikey, Thanks brotha! what kind hose and how long should I buy? I know you said something in a different thread about certain hoses kinking. Can you tell me what to buy and where and we will figure something out. Super stoked on this idea!

Jet- Sorry buddy but I think I'm gonna keep these sacs and see how they work out. If anything changes I will for surely let you know!

Chachi
05-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Wotan- I see your in Hudson. I'm in Roberts right near ya. Do they have scheduled Supra meet days during the summer? Do you spend most of your time on the St. Croix? I will let you know dates of riding/partying/camping on "Beer Can" same to Mikey as well!

Chris

wotan2525
05-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Wotan- I see your in Hudson. I'm in Roberts right near ya. Do they have scheduled Supra meet days during the summer? Do you spend most of your time on the St. Croix? I will let you know dates of riding/partying/camping on "Beer Can" same to Mikey as well!

Chris

Hey Chachi --

Yep! We're out on our little party island every weekend. Beer can is the big one that's just south of the dike, we're on the small one just north of the dike. We like to setup there because I can make people walk out and swim over and I spend a lot less time playing ferry back and forth to the seawall. Seems to be a different group out there all the time but generally speaking we've got 3-5 wakeboard boats cranking tunes and drinking beers. We might wakeboard for a little bit on the weekends but usually the water is horrible so we just party it up, do some stand-up jet skiing, and get in trouble from our girlfriends for looking at the hotties.

Blake is out there sometimes. His family owns the Supra dealership up in Forest Lake so he usually rolls in with his insane boat. Last year he had a 24SSV with about $25k in Wet Sounds in it.... I'm sure he'll have to outdo himself this year. He also organizes a supra meet up every year. Last year it was raining and 50 degrees but there was still around a dozen boats that showed up. I left around midnight but could hear them partying from my house a mile away until 4-5 when (I guess) their generator ran out of gas.

Chachi
05-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Right on Wotan! Ya Blake is a friend of mine and usually lets me know when he will throw the parties. I know he has a new boat this year and I agree with you as he always out does himself year after year. Must be nice. Anyway i was out there with ya that day last summer when it was 50, man was that a chilly one! But we all had serious fun and this year I will finally have my boat in the water so we will be able to enjoy the festivities!