PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying, need help

mutau052
05-19-2010, 10:34 PM
i'm looking to buy a supra or moomba, but my question is which of the supra have towers that will fold down to fit in a 7' garage.

I keep getting mixed messages from my readings, i know it matters what trailer you have. But are there any that are typically known to fit.

I would think the Sunsport 20 and the Launch 21v should fit but maybe i'm wrong. Does anyone have a pic of these towers folded down.

I know the Outback V fits but just looking to keep my options open.

Diggs
05-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I know the 21V will be tight. It is right about 7'. Maybe a hair less or hair more. The 20 SSV might be a bit better, but I would recomend grabbing the potential boat and taking by your place to see. It will be a tight fit and I would want to see it go in before I bought it.

mapleleaf
05-19-2010, 11:41 PM
garage door resizing, though a pain, could be folded into the price of the right boat!!!! I'd pick the boat I really wanted and work the door issue out shortly after.....
I suppose unless your place is bricked!!!!!! then the door stays!!

LloydP
05-20-2010, 07:32 AM
I literally had to deflate the trailer tires down to about 15lbs in order to get my 21v into my garage with the 7' door.

ScottnAz
05-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Are you looking new, or used? If used, year will make a difference.
I've got an 05' 22ssv, that just fits under my 7' door. But with the newer hull, I don't believe a 22 will fit. (I realize you're not asking about a 22, just pointing out year will make a difference when buying used)

I saw a thread somewhere that a guy had used a big drop hitch to lower the tongue of the boat enough to get it in the garage. Found it, TL7 over on the Moomba boards posted:

Do not laugh at what you are about to see!

I also wanted to keep the boat in the garage at all costs. It's nice to be able to tinker with it when I want to. The Outback we had (07) fit easily. Once we upgraded to the 2010 LSV, I was pretty sure it fit, but I racked my brain for a few days until I came up with a solution that worked for me.

With the tower folded, the door header was still a few inches too tall. I discovered that lowering the tongue to where it was just off the ground gave me the clearance I needed. I had a machine shop fab a 18" drop hitch that is adjustable by the inch. My routine is as follows:

1. Remove from regular hitch.
2. Swap normal hitch with fabbed drop hitch.
3. Using floor jack, lower boat tongue onto hitch.
4. Back into garage.
5. Once header is cleared, use floor jack to put boat back on normal fulton jack.
6. Roll into garage as needed.

It sounds like a giant pain in the butt, but whole process takes less than 15 minutes now. Yes I'll be glad when we move and get a larger garage, but for now I'd rather do this than pay for storage. It's not as nice as having a garage that I can just back in, but I pay nothing monthly for it and I have the boat with me all the time. Just wanted to give you something to think about. There is always a solution!

Here's a picture of my tower folded

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/foldedtower.jpg

Patrick56
05-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Just as a reference,

I have an 03' Launch SSV (22 foot) with the Rad-A-Cage and it fits under a 7' door. It is tight, and I hook up with a 2" drop hitch, but it fits. The door opening is actually closer to 6'10".

Hope this helps.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
A lot of times it makes a big difference if the tower folds down to the windshield line, or if it sticks up above it.