PDA

View Full Version : 40 year old newbie needs a board

sc_beerbarge
05-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Just turned 40 and bought myself a decent board boat. I need a decent board that is forgiving and not extremely expensive. Boarded some in my late 20's and probably won't get to board all to frequently since I seem to always be the driver. Need something that isn't going to beat the hell out of me is comfortable and tailored to beginner/intermediate. I'm 6 foot 180-185 lbs.

The possibilities are endless and make my head swim. I've checked through all the closeouts etc and perused this board and wb.

What do would you folks suggest?

FWIW I Got the kids a 2010 CWB Charger. Looks like a good kids board but daddy needs one too. :D

ericmichaels
05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I just picked up the 2010 Ronix vault package for $350. This is my first board and I bought it before I knew how to wake board. So far its been great to learn on and its comfortable. My friend who is pretty good uses it when he is out on my boat and he enjoys it to.

Kip
05-19-2010, 11:36 PM
I started out with a CWB Faze with the seven Bindings. It is the board I get anyone new at wakeboarding on first. It is stable but still fun to ride. I would definitely suggest the CWB line of Hinge Bindings. They are great for getting into quick and easy. I have the sevens and I will slip around in them some so I would either go with a better pair.

Good Luck

sc_beerbarge
05-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

Any opinion on a Liquid Force Watson with Watson open toe bindings for a beginner?

Okie Boarder
05-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I started with a cheapy board, but my first good one was a LF Witness with Transit bindings. My wife now rides that board with Melissa bindings. I now have the LF Lyman with Vantage bindings. I like the Lyman because it is a little more aggressive board.

The Watson would be a good board...I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Memmer99
05-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I have a pair of the 09 Watson bindings with the pull strings and I love them. They are the most comfertable bindings I've ridden in in 10+ years. As for a board I would recommend the Hyperlight Premier. If you get a beginner board you will progress fast and endup spending another $400 next year for a better one. With the Premier you can learn with the center fins this year and take them off next year when you get better.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah you can find great prices on the Watson through boardersmall.com call them for a good hookup. This is one of the most popular setups in wakeboard history, and several people I know have bought them after riding mine. It's a great board that has a lot of advanced features but the shape is tuned to be really forgiving as well. Highly recommended.

And the bindings are super light and have good aluminum base plates and a one-peice liner for supreme comfort and no pressure points. See the thread on wakeworld with the guy complaining about his Company base plates broke? Several brands still are (re)using molds with plastic base plates and I would not recommend them for anyone.

sc_beerbarge
05-20-2010, 09:49 PM
I went with the CWB Faze. Figure it's a good beginner board and relatively inexpensive. Something I can keep around for newbs that come on the boat. Next year I'll pony up for something more advanced if I get enough time behind the boat.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-21-2010, 06:44 PM
What size? Congrats. Pic?

saltare inverts
05-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Nice. Let us know how it works. I am also 39 (close to forty). I have been riding for awhile and Im looking for inspitration to learn new tricks. Hearing that you are just starting helps me motivate me. Go get em.

Kip
05-23-2010, 10:05 AM
On the faze once you get used to riding you will want to find some smaller, 1/2 " , fins for it. Or go fin less.

sc_beerbarge
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
What size? Congrats. Pic?

140 cm. Looks to be a good all around size. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll snap some pics. Kids have a better board than we though. :confused: