PDA

View Full Version : what gives...gas tank discrepancy

crdenton
07-04-2004, 02:28 PM
OK, I am going crazy out of my mind. I have an 03 Lanuch. Went out to the lake the other day, and for the first time in my life (25 years of boating), I ran out of gas, of course, in the middle of the lake, with very few boats out. My gas gauge jumped from about a 1/8 full reading to just a tick below empty, and we ran that way for about 15 minutes, after which the boat stalled out and died. Numerous attempts to restart it resulted in it starting and running for a few seconds and then dying again. So, I am sure I was out of gas. Now the puzzling part. After we were towed back to shore, I took my boat home and the next day went to the gas station to fill it up. I was expecting to put 37 gallons in the tank, since the owners manual and sales brochure show an 03 Launch has a 37 gallon tank. Well, I could not put a drop more than 29.5 gallons in the thing. It kept running out the filler neck, and I could actually see the gas down in the filler tube. So I know the tank was full. But for the life of me I am trying to find out about the 7.5 gallon discrepancy between what the owners manual says I have, and what I was actually able to put in the tank. Before you ask, yes I am sure I ran out of gas, and the tank was empty, at least according to the gas gauge and the fact that the boat died. And I am sure I was only able to put in 29.5 gallons. Can someone explain what is going on? The dealer had no idea...
Thanks,
cdr