PDA

View Full Version : Strut mount crack inside boat

Ryno214
05-20-2010, 10:36 PM
First off ive been a stalker for a while fixing my problems after reading about them on here, so thanks for all the info.
So today we took the boat out to adjust the pack and fix a few leaks. I ended up finding something I didnt wanna see. It seems some of the fiberglass work around the (strut mounting plate?) has cracked. it seems to have a light-moderate spray when turning. when just idling its barely even noticable. Looking at it from the bottom there is no cracks or chipping that I can see. I am gonna do the work myself.

1. Is it as easy as just grinding down to some fresh stuff and re glassing it?
2. Do I need to remove the strut and shaft?
3. What would the best way be to go about fixing this?
Any help or suggestions would be great thanks for reading.

It is a 1988 Supra Comp TS6M

I stole the photo from another thread as my camera wasnt charged, the black lines represent the cracks.

Okie Boarder
05-21-2010, 08:41 AM
That area is going to be a piece of wood covered in glass. You're going to want to remove the strut, then grind it down to the original hull glass. You'll know you're there when it turns orange. You might go look at some of the rebuild threads to get an idea. There's likely some good pictures in that area on mine.

Once it is out, just get a piece of plywood cut to shape for the base. Get some CPES and coat it very well. Then attach the plywood with a thickened epoxy. After it is set you will glass over it. Your's should be like mine in that it will rest in a depression in the bottom of the hull / gel coat. That will help you in drilling the new holes to re-install. The key will be getting it back properly and getting it aligned to the shaft.

I repaired the shaft log on mine last year and have a thread showing that. That thread would be a good one to look at for ideas.

Shaft Log Repair (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3593&highlight=shaft)

Ryno214
05-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, wasnt as hard of a repair as i was making it out to be. I think with the extra glass I have im gonna make some custom cup holders or something.

saltare inverts
05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Extra cupholders is a good idea. I dont thick it will be that hard of repair. It will probably be better than from factory. Oh, and welcome aboard.

mapleleaf
05-21-2010, 11:35 PM
its a no brainer....start fresh at the motor mounts, with say a crate 572.....

Mani
05-22-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm with Mapleleaf on this one.

Ryno214
05-22-2010, 01:37 AM
What I wouldnt give for that kinda time and money. Hopefully between fixing this, the speedo hose that came off behind the tank and new shaft packing that should fix my leak problems. To think I wouldnt have caught it if we wouldnt have left the seat out to check and adjust the packing.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
05-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Its not on topic, but where in Nor Cal are you?

Ryno214
05-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I am in Santa Rosa, I guess that isnt Nor Cal compared to Redding haha.

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
05-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Its close. I think Im the farthest Northern Cali guy on the forum

Ryno214
05-22-2010, 01:21 PM
You might be hard to beat.