PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Restoration

Brawn41
05-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Hello All,

Looking forward to your thoughts as I contemplate the next move in my ski life.

A bit of history..Bought my 1984 Comp 15 years ago. Great shape....750 hours. ran well. Had 10 years of TONS of fun. Then along came the kids, which severely limited my time on the water. Consequently, the Comp sat, wet and covered for most of the year. The hour meter quit at 1250, but my best guess is around 1500 total.

Last year when it was in the water, there was a distinctive loose and wobbly feel about the hull when we ran through any kind of chop. After poking around inside, found lots of rot around the motor mounts and in the stringers.

Don't have 50+K to buy a new one, don't want to give up altogether and sell. Looking at a rebuild/restoration from the inside out. The forums have been great and answered a lot of questions but I have more:

I assume that since it is the first model of the Comp, it has a bit of value, perhaps to more than just the folks on this site. Thoughts?

I feel confident doing the mechanicals myself. Can anyone direct me to a reputable restorer in Southern Ontario for the hull rebuild?

The gel coat is not in terrible shape, but has several areas where it seems to have bubbled. Can this be remedied with wet sanding, or am I looking at professional repair?

I have lots more but that will get the party started for now.

Cheers,

RS
1984 Comp TS6M

Supra-in-steamboat
05-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Brawn- sorry to hear about your Comp and the rot. Seems like you'll be spending some money and time finding a repair spot- and when you find it-you'll be shelling out some$$ to the tune of @$3-$5000 US. for the fix... There are alot of boats for sale right now. My boat had an accident in storage this winter and I might have to replace it. I am shocked at the variety of Supras available. Just a thought as summer doesn't last long this far north- and repair would most likely take 30-45 days. Good luck with all.

Brawn41
05-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks Steamobat,

You are right on a lot of points. Probably going to be lots of time and money.
Not a really issue for me right now as my kids are young (4,2 and 6mo) and I don't get out as much anyway. I am hoping that they become interested as they get a bit older. Also looking at it as a long-term thing done over a few seasons.

The season up here IS short. My wife and I are teachers and have July and Aug off. Spring and fall are the busiest time of the year so it is nice to be able to take advantage of those two months.

Good point about the number of boats available. I guess I am attached to this one for many reasons. Not the least of which is that I proposed to my wife in it. I find the prospect of making it new and adding some of my own tweaks especially fascinating. Any of you who have followed Okie Boarders thread can understand.

Keep the thoughts coming.

Cheers,

RS
1984 Comp

Supra-in-steamboat
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Brawn- I am pretty attached as well... My friend has a early 90's Comp. They are great boats. Simple,fast, fun. He sold Supras back in the day and just can't really see himself in another boat.
I think you will be happy with your decision as long as it involves a Supra. Enjoy your three favorite months of the year! Have a good summer.

mapleleaf
05-23-2010, 10:57 PM
There's support up here for the rebuild, Okie's thread has been an eye opener for all. I've found some rot, but am lucky that it hasn't travelled too far yet. I probably have 3-4 yrs. of short seasons left. In rebuilding my boat I have worked around that. Put in Cheap carpet, and redone my interior, with all the advice here. I don't have a reputable stringer shop to recommend uphere, but have found what I've needed as things come up...
It's def. cheaper than a new boat, if its the boat you want. I have found my Conbrio to be a little low in the water and would probably be more comfortable in a bigger Sunsport or Saltare, but enjoy it all the same as it's what I could afford and I love the way it drives on the water....
I feel like being loyal to the Supra brand will be easy, given this forum and their price point compared to the other inboards. Happy to offer any help if needed....
Goodluck with your decision, and boat.....get back on the water!!!!

Okie Boarder
05-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track looking at what you want to do. If there is an attachment and desire to keep the boat, go for it.

Any thoughts on doing it yourself or are you set on having someone else do it?

If time and money aren't super critical, I'd consider getting it down to TN to one of the shops down there (Donnie or Jim).

Brawn41
05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks OB,

Great to hear from you. Appreciate the advice of someone who has gone "hands on" and made the results available to the rest of us.

I would love to take on the challenge of doing it myself, I just don't think it is realistic. My time is very limited, having three small kids. Space is another issue, although I think my garage is about the same size as yours. I could probably manage the engine rebuild and other detailing myself, but the hassle and mess of the tearout and working with fibreglass are very daunting.

Question: Did you ever have your gelcoat redone? It appears to be in fantastic shape. Good maintenance in combination with a forgiving climate perhaps? This is the other part of the equation I am grappling with. Though I like the classic Comp colour scheme, I have some ideas that would make it my own.

Thoughts?

csuggs
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Brawn - regardless of how you go about doing it, I say go for it! For the money you will put into it, you will end up with a boat that is new in nearly every way without breaking the bank. I'm convinced that it's really a good way to go - economical and nastalgic!
I'll post up a thread with lots of pics as soon as I get my boat back from Viper Customs (hopefully within a week).

Okie Boarder
05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Brawn,

I have a standard 3 car garage I wedge my boat into. I did all the work in there, including grinding. It was a little cramped at times, but worked just fine. When I was able to I did some work on the driveway with saw horses, like when I cut the stringers. If you work little bits at a time and clean as you go it isn't bad.

Mine is the original gelcoat. It was pretty oxidized when I got the boat. I wetsanded and buffed it to get it looking like it does now. I'm sure you could do the same.