PDA

View Full Version : Engine failure

jvb3
07-04-2004, 09:44 PM
2004 SSV quits with less than 10 hours on motor Sat. night July 3rd. Dealer closed July 4-5 so my feet will be dry for the Fourth. 3/4 tank of gas but it appears the engine is not getting any fuel. Motor turns over, compression souds good. Any thing to look for for a quick fix that I might be overlooking? No kill switch installed.

SupraNut
07-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Keep in mind that my boat is much older than yours...it died out on the lake one day back in '99. Similar to yours, it was running and then it just quit. It would crank but wouldn't fire. Plenty of gas in the tank but it wasn't making it ot the carb. About 4:00 am the next morning, it dawned on me that it could be the fuel sending unit. I pulled out the ski locker to access the gas tank and pulled the sending unit out of the top of the tank and sure enough...the pickup tube (or siphon tube or whatever it's called) had vibrated loose over the years. It was laying in the bottom of the tank. I fished it out with a coat hanger...snugeed it back in place...put everything back together and was on my way.

jflock2
07-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Did it quit while you were running it or did it happen the next time you took her out?

jvb3
07-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. In the end it was the fuel pump fuse that had blown. Back in the water and enjoying the 100 degree heat.