PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried the new Ronix Cortez surfboard?

dusty2221
05-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm heavily considering picking the new Ronix Cotez board up this week, but wanted to get some opinions on it. It's new for 2010 I think, so I don't know if anyone has ridden it. If not, could some of you surfers read a little about it and see if you think it is what I may be looking for? The guy at our local board shop seemed really knowledgeable about them and thinks we would be happy. Right now we are on the broadcast and its great, but not very fast. All we are looking for is a board that will be responsive and fast. The broadcast is just slow once you get the basics down. I'm looking at the 4'8"

Opinions? I'd love to buy an Inland Surfer, but I just don't want to drop $400+ on a board since I am already having to buy another board rack, and the Cortes is running $299.

http://www.evogear.com/wake-surfboards/ronix-cortez-wakesurf-board-2010.aspx

Matt Laird
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Here ya go Dusty, Ill have it in the water by noon Thursday @ Platter...

dusty2221
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Damnit, you already bought one! Go figure! That is the longer of the two isnt it?

Matt Laird
05-24-2010, 12:32 PM
ya thats the 5'6 or whatever.. the bigger one... Fatr boy needs boyancy to surf...

ScottnAz
05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Hey Matt, do you mind getting a couple extra pics for me?
A shot that shows the rail shape/detail
A shot that shows the bottom rail to rail concave
Also, fins? size, and shape?

Thanks

Byrd
06-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I've got one and I love it. You can ride it easily without having to have a boat full of people. It has a super stable feel.

Matt Laird
06-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Scott, sorry I have it stowed & wont be able to get to it for a few weeks..

Skylar18
06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Got one and used it for the first time this weekend. Great for beginners and you can mess with the fins and make it more advanced. Well worth the money.

jaywidhalm
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Good to hear. I have the same board, just picked it up this year and we are all new to the surf game. Hope it works out.

Fman
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Good to hear. I have the same board, just picked it up this year and we are all new to the surf game. Hope it works out.

Jay are you using the 750 lb rear sacs? if not you will definitely need to pick some up to get the needed weight to achieve a ride-able wake. I had a lot of problems with the stock 400's trying to get a ride-able wake, the 750's make a huge difference. You will also need to extend out the fill line so it does not snap off from the extra height of the bag. Make sure and get a larger surfboard if you are just beginning, smaller boards will demand a larger wake/more skilled rider.

At least this is what I have found, have been a few different board sizes (4'6-5'4) and the larger boards are always easier to free surf for me. I am a novice rider, 6'1" 200 lbs

jaywidhalm
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Fman, I am looking at getting the 750's this year. One piece at a time though for me. What do you mean by extending the fill line?
I did get the 5'4" Ronix Cortez for that very reason. Didn't want to be frustrated with a smaller board and not like it right off the bat. Thanks for the advice, I will be sure and get the 750's, even if its just for one side right now. Thanks again...Jay

Hematoma
06-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I just picked up a 5'6'' Cortez Friday and its pretty nice. I'm 215# and it floates me just fine.

JoHNI_T
06-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Fman, I am looking at getting the 750's this year. One piece at a time though for me. What do you mean by extending the fill line?
I did get the 5'4" Ronix Cortez for that very reason. Didn't want to be frustrated with a smaller board and not like it right off the bat. Thanks for the advice, I will be sure and get the 750's, even if its just for one side right now. Thanks again...Jay

the hose that fills the bags sits low because the bag does not get too big, so you need to add 2 or 3 feet of length so when the bag expands the hose is not pulled out

I just upgraded to 1100# rear bags on my 06 22ssv(they fill to about 900#s) and I purchased hose, barb adapters and clamps from the hardware store to extend very easy and worth every penny.( thx scott for the tips)

1100 bags are 189$ each plus 5$ for the quick conects each.
750# bags are 179$ each I think so I went with the extra weight

ScottnAz
06-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I was able to check this board out this past weekend in another boats rack.
I like the swallow tail design, and the board looks to be a bit of a step up in design from the true beginner boards like the broadcast. The flat bottom and sharp rails lead me to believe it's going to be a quick and easy board to ride. I also like the larger fins. How's the weight of the board? I'd certainly skip right over the broadcast/cwb ride and buy this board instead.

The only disclaimer is I've never surfed the board, just gave it a quick once over....:)

Hematoma
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I was able to check this board out this past weekend in another boats rack.
I like the swallow tail design, and the board looks to be a bit of a step up in design from the true beginner boards like the broadcast. The flat bottom and sharp rails lead me to believe it's going to be a quick and easy board to ride. I also like the larger fins. How's the weight of the board? I'd certainly skip right over the broadcast/cwb ride and buy this board instead.

The only disclaimer is I've never surfed the board, just gave it a quick once over....:)

Hey Scott you going to hit up Canyon this weekend? I might head out there Sunday. If you go, find me and you can demo mine lol. Let me know.

ScottnAz
06-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey Scott you going to hit up Canyon this weekend? I might head out there Sunday. If you go, find me and you can demo mine lol. Let me know.
Thanks for the offer, I'm going to take you up on that. Just not this weekend.
As of right now, we're not planning on riding tomorrow. I'm going to ride at some point this week though.
Have fun if you head out!

Hematoma
06-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the offer, I'm going to take you up on that. Just not this weekend.
As of right now, we're not planning on riding tomorrow. I'm going to ride at some point this week though.
Have fun if you head out!

Cool, during the week we go out on Monday and Thursday, if you decide to go on one of those days let me know and we'll meet you.

jaywidhalm
06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
So I tried the Ronix Cortez 5'4" this weekend. First timer!! Had lots of people in the boat, but still no ballast, but decided to try it anyway. No problem getting up, but once I was going I was attempting to get the feel of it. I would sort of "fall" down the wake and the tip of my board would actually end up on top of the swim platform, then I would back off of it, hold it for a while, then bback to the platform. I will try to post some pics tonight or tomorrow, not sure how they turned out though. Never was able to go without the rope yet, but still trying to get the feel of it. Any ideas? We were at about 11.6 MPH.

Super fun though, can't wait till I get this all figured out and dialed in!!

jaywidhalm
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
So here are a few pics of the 1st surf attempt. I seem so close to the boat. More weight?? Slower or faster speed? Like I said I think I was going 11.6 with the wakeplate at 30 percent. I now it takes a lot of fine tuning...and we didn't have a ton of time. Any help is appreciated.

Skylar18
06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey Jay,

Yea from the pictures it looks like you need more weight to get your wave a bit bigger. That being said remember, weight on your front foot speeds up the board and gets you close to the boat. Weight on the back foot slows the board down.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Jay -

Your solution should be simple. Your weight is WAY forward on the board, making you accelerate into the platform. Move your stance back. You want your rear foot on the rear kickpad and your front foot closer to the middle of the IS logo.

When you need more acceleration, widen your stance by inching your front foot towards the nose. Keep a wide athletic stance and your arms out. Also you may want to move your toes closer to the toeside edge (mainly with your front foot).

Keep the pics comin! Wave looks surfable from your pics so far!

jaywidhalm
06-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I will try scooting back on the board more, and a little more toeside. I will have my rear foot on the pad (or just in front of it right?). I will get more pics this weekend and next week too, and repost. Thanks again

JoHNI_T
06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
try going a bit slower and you may see that wake grow a bit, and of course the more weight the better,,, if it seems real steep put a bit of weight or one person to the non surf side,,, too steep is tuff to ride

as well if you dont have excess weight you can constantly turn slightly to the surf side while driving and this can help the wake as well

i run 10.7mp/h with the plate at 3/4 up.

Hematoma
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
I have a short review plus a mod on WW for the Cortez that makes it so much faster but yet easy for everyone to still learn on. My wife and kids are still learning the ropes so to speak. This is what you should do, 100% improvement.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/IMG_0939.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/thedirty30/IMG_0966.jpg

Hematoma
06-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Jay -

Your solution should be simple. Your weight is WAY forward on the board, making you accelerate into the platform. Move your stance back. You want your rear foot on the rear kickpad and your front foot closer to the middle of the IS logo.

When you need more acceleration, widen your stance by inching your front foot towards the nose. Keep a wide athletic stance and your arms out. Also you may want to move your toes closer to the toeside edge (mainly with your front foot).

Keep the pics comin! Wave looks surfable from your pics so far!Mikey this board is a piece of crap out the box, unless he weighs 100 pounds he wont be able to get on that kick pad with out stalling. Ronix eff'd up the fin configuration with the 2 smalls and a large trailing fin. Just plain retarded for this board. It needs all the drive it can get. Thats why I did the mod on mine I can ride as far back as my feet will go and not fall out of the pocket. Before I changed the fins I had to choke up on the board also.