PDA

View Full Version : 86 vs 89 sunsport

drc007
05-24-2010, 09:02 PM
whats the difference between these boats? any hull difference?

dshaff24
05-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I have an 86 and prefer the 89 hull better just because it doesn't have the tri hull effect to it, I don't know how a 89 handels in the water but my 86 feels like a corvette when turning! basically to me its just LOOKS when I speak my opinion,

drc007
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm confused about what you mean by tri hull. I have a old invader tri hull and it is made specifically not to throw a wake. Is this what the 86 sunsport does?

csuggs
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Competition ski boats that were built in the 80's were built to throw a wake at around 18-20mph for trick skiing, and no wake when you get up to around 34-36mph for slalom skiing. Nobody was riding a wakeboard back then. The Sunsport from that era is very similar to newer wakeboard boats when it comes to hull design. The trick is to get it weighted right for the optimum wake (if that's your goal). I use my 86 Sunsport for wakeboarding with no additional weight and while it doesn't offer the same wake as some others on here with weighted hulls, mine is still tons of fun and has a larger wake than many boats on the water. I have chosen not to weight mine because of the extra load on the motor and motor mounting surfaces.
What dshaff is trying to say (I think) is that the 86's have a hull that looks a little like an old trihull - but it is not a trihull. Rather it is a moderately deep vee in the bow section and flat ski boat in the rear. The part that makes it look like a trihull was designed to flatten the wake at slalom speeds.

dshaff24
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm confused about what you mean by tri hull. I have a old invader tri hull and it is made specifically not to throw a wake. Is this what the 86 sunsport does?

No No, If you look at a pre 89 hull it has real long sides, It has no effect on the wake

drc007
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
ok I understand now. So here is my question based on your opinion if u had a 86 and a 89 both identical except hull design which would be the best for wakeboarding? Assuming all are weighed identical.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
There are some minor differences. THe cup holders are in different spots. The rear ski locker is bigger. The 89 weighs 500lbs more than the 87.

The only MAJOR difference I can think of is that the newer model may have a 1:1.23 transmission instead of the VelvetDrive 1:1. This means the prop can spin faster, and these boats generally use a larger-diameter propellor. This combination of trans and prop diam mean you can use a four-blade prop. However there are also great 3-blade props and I would not call it much of an advantage really, unless you have a bigger boat, engine and ballast to match.

The running surfaces of the hull should be completly identical. The only hull changes were made above the water-line (ie nose and side-hull minor changes).

DO you need some pics for reference? :)

The 86 was the first year the SunSport was made. In 92 they moved from wooden boats to all-fiberglass.

drc007
05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh ok mikey. I understand now the 89 should throw a slightly larger wake since it is 500lbs heavier. So sinc the ski locker is slightly larger it would allow more room for the ballast. Mikey I've been trying to find some pictures and i've even looked at your pics from a previous post it's just hard to distinguish between the two the 86 models nose looks rounded in a way to me. Is the ski locker deeper or wider in the 89's . I ve been looking for a supra for approx a month and I still have yet to find one I really like however I am fixed on getting one. I plan on making it the best it can be!( like ur boat) and use it for wakeboarding so if there is any advice that maybe you would have liked when u were looking for a boat but weren't given. I would greatly appreciate it.

michael hunter
05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I cant help you with the 86 but here is an 89.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SupraPicture005.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SupraPicture031.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture015.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture016.jpg

Bookshelf
05-25-2010, 06:22 PM
There are some minor differences. THe cup holders are in different spots. The rear ski locker is bigger. The 89 weighs 500lbs more than the 87.

The only MAJOR difference I can think of is that the newer model may have a 1:1.23 transmission instead of the VelvetDrive 1:1. This means the prop can spin faster, and these boats generally use a larger-diameter propellor. This combination of trans and prop diam mean you can use a four-blade prop. However there are also great 3-blade props and I would not call it much of an advantage really, unless you have a bigger boat, engine and ballast to match.

The running surfaces of the hull should be completly identical. The only hull changes were made above the water-line (ie nose and side-hull minor changes).

DO you need some pics for reference? :)

The 86 was the first year the SunSport was made. In 92 they moved from wooden boats to all-fiberglass.
I always thought that the gear reduction transmissions in these boats and Mastercrafts worked the opposite way, propellor would spin slower, but with more torque because of the gear reduction, giving a better hole shot and being able to use a larger propellor. I could be wrong, someone correct me if I am:D. Also, what was the first year the bow line was swept down on the top, and are these later sunsport hulls the same on the bottom as the old riders?

87SunSportMikeyD
06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Bookshelf you are correct I think. I am no mechanic :). The beasts I have been told do not have as deep of a hull as the SunSports do below the water. They still have high freeboard (sides) but the bow doesn't project as far below the water.

Here is my baby
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/Picture_0272.jpg

dshaff24
06-02-2010, 12:04 AM
My boat isn't finished but What I meant with the tri hull effect is the sides seem to be really long then kind of cut up then go into the V! If this makes any sense or not! Ill take more pics when I work on the boat!

To me the only difference is the sides look LONGER then the next generation sunsports! And I wouldn't say it effects the wake like stated earlier, I do feel that it helps it handle like its on rails!

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/387815607.jpg