PDA

View Full Version : Tower brackets seem like they're going to pull through the hull

04Gravity
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
As most of you know I bought this boat last October. I still have yet to actually wakeboard behind it. The tower that is on it is a Tsunami. Today I was just pushing and pulling on it just to see how sturdy it was and I can hear a cracking sound that sounds like the brackets are going to rip out of the hull. I looks under the bow where the front mounts are and the backing plates are only about 3 inches long. Should I put some 8 inch aluminum plates on them to disperse the load better or do you think its ok? Any ideas are appreciated.

p.s. boat is a 92 Comp

saltare inverts
05-24-2010, 10:52 PM
You might be ok but peace of mind is a big deal on a boat. Put on bigger backer plates and leave that worry behind. I had same small plates on my tower and I put on bigger plates. I have had no problems.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I would go ahead and put on bigger plates. If the bolts can actually move around in the holes you may have an issue, otherwise I would guess it is the threads of the bolts rubbing on the exposed fiberglass in the drilled out holes you are hearing. I used 4"x9" marine ply 3/4" plates.