PDA

View Full Version : long post on velvet drive problem

07-06-2002, 10:15 AM
I have lost reverse on my Borg Warner Velvet drive transmission. What should I do?

Yesterday my son was driving and he said he was having trouble getting it into gear (forward). We thought at first that it was caused by the fact that the Morse control unit was loose (screws that hold it against the side panel stripped the fiberglass) It seemed at the time that applying lateral pressure to the Morse Unit and pin resolved the problem. Looking back I think we were mistaken. Within a few minutes we had no reverse, but we had forward. With the Morse pin in, I shift into reverse but just get an engine rev as I move past the detent for reverse(both on the Morse lever and at the Warner lever) With the engine cover off I could see the linkage move into the reverse position, (each time a click can be felt on the Morse unit as it moves into detent) and beyond that it began to move the throttle cable on the carb. I can see the pin on the Morse unit rotate. The transmission level was a little down so I topped it off with Dextron, but no help. The filter was checked about 20 hours ago and was clean. I took out the transmission cable cotter pin and put the lever in reverse manually but no good
We bought the boat last fall and wondered why the prop always spun slowly in neutral(cannot stop it with grip pressure, always same slow rpm regardless or engine rpm) some supra owners say that's normal, but I've heard it may be a sign of clutch plate warp.

My thinking was is this something simple like the oil level, the linkage, the Morse control unit(maybe simple but I can't see how you disassemble it), is it something I can limp through the summer with, or is it only a matter of days before I lose all transmission?

We live near Cooperstown New York., and the boat yards seem to only understand I/O's or outboards. Advice has been to find an Inboard mechanic but they don't know of any, so one question is can we do anything ourselves or is there a place we can take it too?