PDA

View Full Version : velvet drive in a 454pc saltaire

krisvan13
05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I have my girl up in dry dock for some trailer overhaul.So i replaced the impeller and started her up and am hearing some slight noise from the trany am a new comer to this boat and to direct drives for that matter.
So i am looking 4 some wisdom from you experianced supra owners you have helped before so plzzzz help again before i B.ring O.ut A.nother T.housand!!!

Supra-in-steamboat
05-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Krisvan- i take it you probably havn't heard the noise before. Definetly check your fluid level. The book recommends checking tranny fluid warm- (obviously never in gear out of the lake)- run the boat at @1500rpms for a few minutes in neutral- enough to warm the fluid. Oil expands a bit with heat.
As far as the noise- it could be low fluid, tiny amount of air in the hydraulic system, or an issue with some internal pump gears,-probably could go on. The air and or fluid check is easy to do in the shop- the above warm up usually solves both. If you are able to get the boat in the water, see if the noise is a neutral only thing. Some transmission issues have different symptoms in or out of gear. Hope this helps.

Salty87
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
if you were on the hard there's a good chance you were hearing a dry cutlass bearing. inside the strut is a rubber bushing that would normally be lubricated by lake water. if your prop shaft was spinning and that bearing was dry, it would probably squeal. the prop shaft shouldn't spin in neutral but they sometimes do.

just a thought, i'm hoping it's an easy fix for you.

krisvan13
05-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys i will check both!And i will keep u posted.i will try and get some pics up.love that saltaire i think this is the fixer i keep!

sybrmike
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
I hear ya. For the time & $ I'm sinking in mine - this Salt's gonna be with me a long time.

Boats make a lot more noise on the pavement - water's a great sound insulator. Hopefully nothing to be concerned with.

krisvan13
05-27-2010, 12:38 AM
dude fer sure.A buddy mehcanic of mine is comin into town so felling better to have some wisdom on hand is wicked.
If anyone has comments on the velvet tranny anything at all tell me knowledge is power!!!