PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gaskets

jet
05-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Anyone know what engine model (351 Windsor) and year so I can go by AutoZone and get some gaskets. the guy said he had some 1978 gaskets?? Think they will work? Jet

Don't have time for skidm to mail. :(

Kip
05-25-2010, 10:24 PM
I know I got exhaust gaskets for my 351 that were the same part number as an older 351. So my guess would be yes.

Mani
05-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Jet, I hope I don't get your hopes up for nothing, but I have a lot of duplicate gaskets left over from my engine rebuild. There maybe a set of valve cover gaskets too. If I have them here, their yours, just come get 'em. I'll check and see tomorrow.

michael hunter
05-26-2010, 07:41 AM
The Zone is not a good place for parts. Try Skidim if Mani doesn't have them.

jet
05-26-2010, 08:09 AM
OK, you still need the timing gun? I can drop it off also. I have to work until 12 or 1, but will be done by then, let me know. Thanks

Mani
05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Sorry, Jet. I scrounged through three boxes of motor partsa today and I don't have these. If you needs any other gaskets check with me first I got a load of them, just not valve cover ones.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Michael can you tell me more? I was told these gaskets were nothing special and didn't need special skiDIM versions.... Thank you.

Jet I am doing this too. I am getting a noise from a valve. Crossing fingers. WIll keep u updated. What's going on with yours?

jet
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Mine is leaking on the exhaust when under a load or not plained out, Im getting that smoky smell and Its draining down into the bilge area, messy! We can change these out without removing the exhaust right? I thought I saw a thread on that, Im running out of time for this weekend. Jet

Mani
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Jet, do you need valve cover gaskets or exhaust manifold gasket?

87SunSportMikeyD
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I was planning on removing exhause manifold and replaceing both gaskets.

mapleleaf
05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
I was planning on removing exhause manifold and replaceing both gaskets.

Ditto, I've looked at this a bunch of ways, I'm purty sure those manifold's are coming off. My bolts don't look great, I've been soaking them for 2 weeks, w/penetrating oil, Might try the freeze spray, I've heard good things about it......
Got that same smell, smoke and bilge cleanup issue Jet........

Kip
05-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Mikey your ticking inside the valve cover is might be a rocker that needs adjusted. Some research on a Ford forum would probably give you some how to info.

Mani
05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Ditto, I've looked at this a bunch of ways, I'm purty sure those manifold's are coming off. My bolts don't look great, I've been soaking them for 2 weeks, w/penetrating oil, Might try the freeze spray, I've heard good things about it......

I had to soak mine pretty good before I could get them off. Even with the WD40 and a breaker bar I still bent an allen wrench and busted my hand up getting them out. Cost about $25 to get new stainless bolts from a local hardware shop.

michael hunter
05-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Mikey
The Zone and Advance are not a good place to buy parts in general. You are better off at Napa or Carquest. I like Skidim because they sell PCM branded parts you cant do better than OEM in my opinion.

techsledder
05-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Maple, have you tried this stuff (http://www.blastercorporation.com/PB_Blaster.html) yet? I've used it for years with great success!

jet
05-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Mani told me the other day that he broke 1 or 2 bolts putting them back on, not off! he said it only need 10 lbs of force to go back on so you dont snap one. guess I'll wait till I get back from my trip to do mine. All of us Tx's boys are meeting in OK for 3-4 days. Wahoo! Jet

Mani
05-27-2010, 11:29 AM
The valve cover bolts came off real easy jet. The exhaust manifold is the one that was on real tight. Those little rinky dink bolts on the valve covers don't take much pressure to break. One use of an easy out and a trip to the hardware store for some automotive grade bolts fixed that problem.

jet
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, those were the ones I was speaking about. vavle cover bolts are never a issue. Hows it coming?

mapleleaf
05-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Maple, have you tried this stuff (http://www.blastercorporation.com/PB_Blaster.html) yet? I've used it for years with great success!

Ha I've been soaking with THAT STUFF for 2 weeks, I feel a little better now.... I'm gonna dive into it this weekend we'll see how it goes......