PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Muffler/Crossover Busted! Help..

pharticus
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi Guys, I'm a newbie...

I'm not terribly knowledgeable about ski boats, but am a pretty fair mechanic and have kept my '77 Scoot on the road for years.

Anyhow, recently into a '92 Sunsport 454. Is the big fiberglass crossover/collector between the exhaust manifold and the tailpipes a muffler?

Was running boat about 2.5k rpm's and started hearing an exhaust leak. Started as a small hole at a seam, and opened up to about 75% of the circumference of the f/g entrance pipe by the time on the trailer. I cut it open, and found a rat's nest of fibers (see pic).

Question - All the fiber mess looks like it's just the deterioration of the fiberglass from inside out, correct? I can't imagine any reason why there would be batting or anything else inside.

When this started to go, my temp started pegging out. I am assuming it's because the exhaust on that side was mostly blocked. When I backed off it cooled down real quick.

I've got a couple of ideas for a splice, but just wanted to make sure I understand what this thing is. Sure would like to get it out next week, if even on light duty...

Any suggestions welcome. Can I go straight from the exhaust to the pipes?

Thanks.:confused:

beast 496
05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
You can bypass the muffler completely, but it will be loud, but not too bad. That would be my recommendation. Remove the hatch support around the engine to gain more room to work. Muffler has been overheated. Al

pharticus
05-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks, Al. I'm learning alot fast. I think I'm still in the game, as it didn't blow up.

I was told it did get hot in the past, but the motor seems to pull well and I've checked out the valvetrain etc. Replaced the impeller, which probably contributed heavily to overheat.

Going with the straight exhaust, at least for now. It's got new flappers at the tips, Any other precautions needed to keep water out of the engine thru the exhaust? (Mebbe a dumb question...)