PDA

View Full Version : Decided to Wet-Sand 2003 LTS

Fainlts
05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
I decided to attempt to wet-sand my 2003 Launch LTS (Navy-blue). What a mistake....I spent five nights almost 8 hrs each wet sanding my boat. Started with hand sanding then small palm sander with 400 grit in some areas on to 600, 800 and 1000. I made almost no progress in removing the oxidation or restoring the color to match where the decals were. I found a local gel-coat guy with experience sanding w/ DA and was able to show me his work on a small area of my boat. He said" this was the hardest gel-coat he has ever seen". Pic#1 from July09 just after I purchased. Pic#2 is after decals removed. Pic#3 is with nearly 40hrs of sanding. Pic does not show but the decals are still visible. Gave up and hired an expert @ $600. It looks great now! Forgot to take final pictures before I put it back in storage at my local lake. Headed there this weekend and will post final pics...although I have not reinstall the decals as I'm still waiting on new custom decals out of Tx. Live and learn...."you can not beat a man at his own trade". update - Photo #4 & #5 are after all buffing and waxing. Just need to find time to install new decals. Update - completed the decals...now what will I do with my time...or yeh. RIDE!

Mani
05-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks great. I say that's money well spent.

01SupraLaunch
05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Looks awesome! I took my decals off the 01 as well, and now you can still see some of the adhesive and lettering. This fall I will get it done professionally. I like the decals on your year better than the 01, maybe I will add those back on.

Fainlts
05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately decal options are limited...could not get 2003 factory replacement (per Skiers Choice) so went with a custom shop out of Tx. I guess my only other option was to go back to Supra dealership for newer 2004+, but I bet the price would have given me a heart-attack. I will update the pics after I get to the lake this weekend and then again once I get the decal in place. "ride me till I sweat".
Fain LTS

Fainlts
05-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Looks great. I say that's money well spent.

No complaints on the price or job quality. Wow...yours still looks great! I will make sure I keep wax on my from now on...don't want to go through that again. Mine is always garaged since I got it March 09. BTW , used to spend a bit of time in Alpharetta (Windway Parkway). Went out on Lanier with co-worker once. Telecom Sales Exec selling to Alltel them Verizon Wireless, now job hunting like a lot of Americans. My 2003 LTS came from Lake Hartwell, SC - one owner.

Take care.
Ride and then ride soon more....

Fainlts.

kcfunk
06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Wow...nice job on the gel coat. The boat looks fantastic. I also noticed that your tower is looking pretty mint as well. I have a Rad-a Cage" on a 2002 Sunsport V and I'm getting a good amount of pitting on the surface. Did you rehab the tower as well? If so, any advice?

Fainlts
06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow...nice job on the gel coat. The boat looks fantastic. I also noticed that your tower is looking pretty mint as well. I have a Rad-a Cage" on a 2002 Sunsport V and I'm getting a good amount of pitting on the surface. Did you rehab the tower as well? If so, any advice?

No work done to the tower. Fortunately the previous owner kept in a dry dock but the sides and rears were exposed to quite of bit of sun...hence the fading. I always garage when not in us. Not much experience with rehab on the tower other than aluminum polish occasionally which will help with tarnishing, but not much help for pitting.
fainlts