PDA

View Full Version : Straight Exhaust Question

pharticus
05-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi guys,

I am planning on bypassing the muffler and going with straight exhaust, at least until I can get the muffler rebuilt. I've got flappers at the tips. Do I need any further protection to prevent water from going up the exhaust to the engine?

Looks to me like the exhaust manifolds are plenty high above the waterline. I'm a novice and would like to get some feedback rather than hydo-locking the engine..

Thanks,

'92 Sunsport, 454

ngavchris
05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
You will not have any issues with this at all. The early supras had no mufflers at all and used the Supratrapps to keep water from backing back up to the engine. I lost a Supratrapp on a older boat and ran it for the entire summer with an open pipe. Just a little louder than normal. Might even notice a little more HP out of it.

04Gravity
05-28-2010, 11:22 PM
You will not have any issues with this at all. The early supras had no mufflers at all and used the Supratrapps to keep water from backing back up to the engine. I lost a Supratrapp on a older boat and ran it for the entire summer with an open pipe. Just a little louder than normal. Might even notice a little more HP out of it.

Yup, my 92 comp has a muffler but my fathers 87 comp was just straight pipe with supertrapps. I wish I still had those instead of the lame muffler!

pharticus
05-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Sweet! Thanks guys, I figured as much but thought it was worthwhile to ask... It's all back together and ready to go into the water today.