PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gaskets

Supra-in-steamboat
05-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Seemed to easy... Went with the FelPros. Old gaskets were in decent shape some bulges aside. Paper towel in the socket helped hold the bolt while inverted.

mapleleaf
05-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Looks good, You managed to get the covers off w/out removing the manifolds??? Was it a PITA??? This is a job I was gonna do this weekend, but got too busy. Mine need changing cuz she's sssssssmok'in.....

techsledder
06-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah mine is too. So this is a pretty quick fix? I had been noticing a little oil down where the head meets the block. With the smoking the compartment and the little oil, it's got to be the valve cover gaskets leaking.... right?

techsledder
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah, so which ones should I go with?

#1 (http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel+Pro/375/1645/10002/-1)
or
#2 (http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel+Pro/375/1613/10002/-1)

Seems the dif between them is their thickness.

I also tried to get a quote from the local NAPA store. The asked if the valve cover was cast aluminum or stamped steel. I think it's aluminum I'll check after work today, but does it really matter? The price difference b/t the gaskets (for the Al vs. Steel) was around $15. He also said their book showed a dif. between and Automotive 1990 351 Windor and a marinised 1990 351 Windor? Really?

mapleleaf
06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I went with the felpro's, but had to remove manifolds to do it....not an easy fix on my boat. However nothing's leaking now......Is it possible that manifolds were man. slightly diff. and some of them allow enough clearance to get at the bottom bolts on the valve covers????

Supra-in-steamboat
06-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Get the Felpros with the compression seats. I used cork. The holes where the bolts pass thru have thin metal bushing type seat. Maybe get some gasket seal- high temp. I used just a little to keep the gasket in place. Make sure to seat the gasket evenly- not crooked leaving gaps- while tightening. Good luck.

Hematoma
06-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I did mine last season and used the blue Felpro's. I could get the starboard valve cover off and on but the port side I had to remove the riser. Doesnt make since but whatever it's done and out of the way.