PDA

View Full Version : TS6M Drifts fast in idle

ffemtriley
05-30-2010, 04:08 AM
I noticed that with a load on the prop (running it in the water) the boat tends to stall. The boat, when in neutral, tends to move forward really fast, even for an inboard. Is there any way to adjust the trans to give it more of an inactive neutral? It runs great on the fake a lake but needs high idle to stay running in the water due to such a fast prop speed in neutral.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

beast 496
05-31-2010, 08:17 AM
If you prop shaft is rotating in neutral the transmission has a problem. More than often the clutch packs are warped from overheating. the forward clutches have 5 clutches and 7 steel plates, the steel plates will warp causing drag on the shaft. This is what makes the shaft turn. Al

ffemtriley
05-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Gotcha. So how do I go about fixing it?

-Matt

beast 496
05-31-2010, 08:32 PM
tranny rebuild, reseal. Time to replace front and rear seal anyway. Al

Mani
05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I'm having a similar problem. I could smell the clutch pack overheating on the lake today. If I get the tranny out and on a bench how hard is it to rebuild? I have rebuilt an AX-5 on a jeep (manual 5 speed) before, but I'm not sure about this clutchpack business.

saltare inverts
06-01-2010, 08:35 AM
I have not rebuilt the whole trans but replaced some parts. It didnt look bad. According to Skidim (parts and technical help) it is very simple and a novice can do it in a few hours. One technical guy there claims he can rebuild trans in half hour!

ffemtriley
06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Mine was supposedly re-built just before I bought it a couple years ago, and it has always been acting like this. My thought is that possibly it was done improperly then.

ffemtriley
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I might just try this one on my own.