PDA

View Full Version : VDrive Oil Leak

Sluggo
05-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Very minor leak but enough to get a good coat of oil on everything that gets wet including the ski locker when water flows back through the hole. If it were accessible I would consider installing a check valve to keep the locker clean. Until I can remove the vdrive and repair properly, has anyone used these oil diapers or something similiar to keep the bilige clean?

Dave

http://www.thebuyingnetwork.com/39424/234552/Oil-Absorbents/Oil-Absorbent-Pads.html

Fman
05-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Very minor leak but enough to get a good coat of oil on everything that gets wet including the ski locker when water flows back through the hole. If it were accessible I would consider installing a check valve to keep the locker clean. Until I can remove the vdrive and repair properly, has anyone used these oil diapers or something similiar to keep the bilige clean?

Dave

http://www.thebuyingnetwork.com/39424/234552/Oil-Absorbents/Oil-Absorbent-Pads.html

Just curious, where is your Vdrive leaking from?

Sluggo
05-31-2010, 08:00 AM
It is underneath somewhere, IE the top is oil free, and is leaking just from sitting in the garage over the winter. It does not seem to leak any faster with use, so as long as I check each time out and keep it full of oil I don't think it will hurt anything. Given there has not been water splashing around, I will get the mirror out and see if I can pin point anything.

Sluggo
06-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I did have a chance look at the leak a little closer. It appears it is leaking from the "sump" seal. The bottom appears to have a "sump" with four bolts holding it on. Not sure if this is doable while still in the boat as they are not visible from above and there might not be clearance to remove the cover once the bolts are removed. Anyone done this?

Sluggo
05-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Ok, so finally got a chance to take a good look at this problem. It is leaking from one of the bolts of the bottom sump cover. I drained the oil and removed the four bolts. Unfortunately there is not enough clearance to remove the cover. I am only about a 1/4" shy. Any ideas on how to remove this cover so I can get it cleaned up and the seal replaced? I read in another post somewhere that Walters does not sell just this gasket so it makes more sense to replace with permatex (non-hardening type). Ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

jsandy
05-15-2011, 10:58 PM
if its just leaking from a bolt then just cover the bolt with some RTV and put back in. cant hurt and could save you alot of trouble.

docdrs
05-16-2011, 07:50 AM
I watched mine being replaced. The biggest part of the job was removing the drivers seat and flooring to make enough room to slide the unit out from the tranny. I only had about 3 inches of clearance and you probably need 6.

Sluggo
05-16-2011, 08:37 AM
So they took the vdrive out to replace the sump cover gasket or for another reason?

docdrs
05-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Mine was leaking around the output shaft seal and possibly elsewhere. Only 1 year old. talked with walters and although these are usu bullet proof the rare one may fail. They were awesome to talk to. Very passionate about their product. Mine was covered under Indmar warranty and they just replace the unit. Mechanic said he had never seen one fail like mine did.

OneCent
05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
well, mine is leaking too (2008 21v). No problem last year, but over the winter i have some transmission oil leaking. The boat was stored in a heated garage.

Sluggo
05-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Transmission fluid or 30wt motor oil?

I just dropped my v-drive sump pan last night, removed the old gasket which looked fine but was completely soaked in oil, cleaned and dried surfaces with parts cleaner, then used permatex black as a gasket. PITA to get an even bead around it when it there is not enough clearance to take it off and you can't see the back. Was a little tricky using the mirror, a flashlight, and squeezing out gasket material all at the same time. Looks good so far, so I am going to let it cure for a couple days (supposed to be done in 24 hours) then fill her up and see what happens. If anyone has done this, I would be very interested in hearing how it turned out.