PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying a Comp

tommy panfish
05-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Need some input. We're looking at buying an 87 Comp. Has 600 hours on her. Gelcoat and finish are in very good condition, minimal fading, small checking near swim platform mounts. Starts well (as well as any 23 year old small block Ford starts), runs strong. I was very impressed with how tight the boat felt. Very little if any rattling or vibration felt in rough water. Leaking a little at prop shaft packing, small amount of smoke coming from driver side valve cover, and noticed one small creak in floor near pylon. Guy is asking $7000.00. We're looking for some input on the shaft packing, the valve cover,etc. I noticed quite a few threads on replacing floor, stringers, etc. How do I know if any of these are bad on a boat with the floor in it? I didn't notice any "soft spots". Any input anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

TP

drc007
05-31-2010, 10:08 PM
im looking for a supra as well from what i've taken in you need to check engine mounts. make sure they will tighten up, also for rot by the gas tank. good luck on finding one. sorry i couldnt help you with the problem i am sure someone will come along and offer some advise

jet
06-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks just like mine. Good price, nice boat..go for it. If you need any help just call me. 214-562-6911 Jet

ACF
06-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Just posted something in the "Pride an Joy" thread that might be of interest. My 1988 Comp has only 200 hours. Mine has a Chevy 350, and runs great. Trailer needs a little work, some rust, and the surge break does not seem to do anything, but I have towed it with a Ford Explorer, and Chevy C10 with no issues.

Solid boat. The only picture I have today is when I put her in the water for the first time out in 12 years. It is posted on the other thread. I will take more pictures soon as I can, but the boat looks real good, and there is not one tear in the seats.

tommy panfish
06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
So my brothers' brother in law has a Sun Sport and is going through the whole floor/stringer replacement. Is this inevitable with the older models? I really like the way these boats look, but I don't want to go through the heartburn if I don't have to. Thanks for the input.

TP

jet
06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
You better get the Tums's out. lol

ACF
06-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Smoke from the valve cover ?

Not enough details to be real helpful, but if the smoke is coming from the oil fill or PCV valve opening in the valve cover, it could be as simple as a clogged up PCV valve, or it could be "blow by" caused by worn or broken piston rings. With only 600 hours, I would not expect enough wear for it to be the rings, unless the boat was seriously abused, and that boat looks taken care of.

PCV valve can be tested. Pull it out of the hole and shake it vigorously. If it rattles freely, it probably isn't clogged, or stuck, but they only cost a few bucks, and the best way to test one is to replace it.

Leaking around the prop shaft. The stuffing box will normally leak at a slow steady drip. If too much water is leaking, there should be large nuts on each end of the thing. I used to like to adjust these while underway (someone else driving of course). Tighten a little bit at a time, and wait to see if the leak slows down to a normal rate, but it isn't supposed to be dry.

Need a little water to test the bilge pump anyway.