PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't idle

Longhorn21
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey guys i'm new to the forum and a novice to boats so any input would be great. I have a 1987 Supra Comp TS6M. I'll start by letting everyone know that i've replaced the whole starting system:Starter,distributor and points,wires,spark plugs,coil in good shape,and the solenoid. The only thing i have not changed is the alternator. Oh yeah and had the timing fixed. I took my boat out this weekend and started right up, but after 10 min would die at idle, if i gave it gas it would run but not in neutral. If i was in gear at running speed it would run fine but when i would slow down the engine would pulsate, and then i would take it out of gear and die. Could it be the carburator or fuel fiter cause it ran fine at the house before i took it out, but after i filled the tank with gas that when the problem started occuring. i thought maybe the float is sticking or sediment in the fuel line or maybe water in the fuel. Any help would be appreciated.

Morphix
06-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I would take a look at the choke. I'm guessing you're probably running a holley carb. Nothing changes over 10 mins other than the temperature of the engine and the choke.

Take the Flame Arrestor(Air filter) off and check the choke and double check the chokeplate on the carb to make sure you're getting the right amount of air for the temperature of the engine.

bens 1985 supra sunsport
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I actually had the same problem this weekend, it was the vaccum line that runs from the fuel pump to the flame arrestor somehow got disconnected and was causing the secondaries to flood. Once I reconnected it ran fine.

wotan2525
06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I agree.... sounds like you are having a problem with the choke. I believe you have an electric choke and it should be pretty obvious where it is on your carb. Make sure all the connections look good. If you want to put a bandaid on the problem you can probably just turn your idle up a bit.

Longhorn21
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
It not the vacuum line, it was connected. It is a holley carb, but the choke seems to be working fine, but will look at it closer

Supra-in-steamboat
06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
It does sound like a carb/choke issue-You mentioned you had the timing adjusted? Make sure the distributor does not spin freely.- just one more thing to rule out. Good luck.

Longhorn21
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Thx's guys it was the choke. You guys are awesome & saved my lots of $$$. My choke plate get alittle stuck though hopefully I can fix it