PDA

View Full Version : 1988 COMP 200 hours

ACF
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I have a 1988 Supra COMP TS6M - White with light blue trim. Has the Chevy 350 instead of the Ford 351. Runs very strong, and looks very good for it's age. I weigh 260 and the floor feels solid as a rock under me. I have been using this boat very little in the three years I have owned it, and recently bought a boat better suited for my purposes. This one will be up for sale very soon. Trying to decide on a fair asking price.

jet
06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Nice man..nice. Mine has 470 soft hrs on her. Jet

ACF
06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, I got some sad news about my boat.

I did not think there were any problems with the wood, but a prospective buyer took the boat to a local marina for an inspection, and they found some indication of rotten stringers.

There were three motor mount bolts they said turned freely and one that could be pulled out. I was surprised to find this out as there has been no movement of the engine, nor any visible damage of the stringers the engine mounts sit on. No cracks, sags, or weeps.

There have been no issues at all in using the boat the three seasons I've owned it. We took it out last weekend, it was driven fast, and even taken through power turns, without any indications of a problem.

This problem required a wrench to discover as there are no visible clues of rotten stringers, and the floor is solid as a rock under me, and I weigh 263 lbs.

I am certainly glad the problem was discovered before the man bought the boat on my saying all was well, but now I have a somewhat difficult decision to make.

I can fix her myself, hire it done, or sell it at a lowered price with condition issues made clear to the buyer.

jet
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
They all have the same prob this far down the road. If you bought a new boat I wouldnt bother fixing it. i would just sell it as is. Pretty though. Haven't seen those colors before. Dont cry, Its common. Jet

ACF
06-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I took her out again last Saturday, drove it hard with no issues. That motor is not moving a bit, and there are no sags or cracks in the areas around the mounts. Some of the bolts are still tight, but three of the top ones are not so tight, and one of those three is pretty loose.

I am thinking it could reasonably last a couple more seasons before it starts giving real problems, or possibly could be at an early enough stage for a patch job, but that is probably wishful thinking. I would hesitate to put much faith in that approach, but the floor is solid, and the pylon doesn't budge a bit, so it ain't completely gone under.

Might be able to put in some sort of the rotten wood fixer resin, or maybe just some gorrilla glue in the three loose screw holes.

The quy who wanted took it to the marina for inspection was ready to buy it at $7500.00 until he got the news about the engine mount bolts.

I am going to put it out there for $5000.00, with the defect noted, and see what happens.

The boat is like driving a Ferrari on the lake, and 5k is pretty cheap for a Ferrari.

wotan2525
06-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I had the exact same issue and tried to get by "for a few more seasons." Tried some quick fixes that never worked. The engine ended up shifting a few degrees to the side and my prop-shaft wore a hole through the side of my shaft log. The boat sank (luckily we made it close to shore and it was only in a couple feet of water!)

I had high hopes for the CPES/rot-doctor solutions and even spent quite a chunk of change on them. Unfortunately, my research showed that they wouldn't accomplish anything unless you could dry the wood out. I'm not sure how this would ever be possible unless you had a drive-in wood kiln to park the boat in for a few years.

I don't mean to crap all over your thread -- I think your solution of pointing out the problem to the next prospective owner is fair and I think your price is reasonable. It's a beautiful boat and is going to make the right person very happy after they undertake the proper repairs. Good luck!!

Cl Clark
05-24-2019, 01:57 AM
Does anyone know of someone who does stringer replacements in Michigan?

michael hunter
05-24-2019, 06:24 AM
Stringers on a Supra is a big job . The top cap has to be removed before you can even get to the floor and stringers. Expect to pay 5k plus to have the job professionally done . If you have the job done make sure you visit often and take a lot of pics of the way it was done . Its easy to cheat and shortcut the job then cover it with the floor and carpet.

Hagman
05-31-2019, 11:56 PM
Loose motor mount bolts are not always an indication of rotten stringers. I bought my boat back in 86, 4 of the factory motor mount bolts were already stripped out in the first season. I ended up installing the next size larger bolts. That got me by another 27 years. For the short fix I lag bolted and epoxed 2 buy 3 angle iron to the sides of the stringers that got me until last fall when the floor got a soft spot behind the drivers seat. That's where the ice chess sets most of the time This winter I did a cap off restoration. 5K is not enough.
Most likely time has taken its toll on your boat.