PDA

View Full Version : Sky Ski Hydrofoil

SupraTamu
06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought a Sky Ski hydrofoil. I have been looking for quite sometime but figured I am not getting any younger so went ahead and ordered it today. I have never tried one before but have some friends that ride them and they love it. I need any pointers anyone can give me. We will be trying it out this weekend. I really can't wait to give this a shot.

tg0824SSVGG
06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
SupraTamu,

Check out the foilforum.com - it's a place where the top hydrofoilers
hang out and love to help!

Welcome to the family!

Todd

1Quickdoo
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Welcome to Foiling... You will love it, as TG08 says, go to foilforum.com LOADS of helpful people and info.

SupraTamu
06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I appreciate the information. I checked the website out yesterday and a lot of useful information.

SupraTamu
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Gave it a try this weekend but we had to cut it short due to the engine alarm going off. There is definately a knack to this. I guess it will take some practice. Only was able to get up a couple of times for a couple of seconds.

docdrs
06-07-2010, 11:56 PM
hi Tamu, I'm right there with ya.....just got my skyski too. On one of my first attempts my wife was taking off like I was barefooting and I was ariborne in no time ...and face first in no time.......but am looking forward to going again......I watched those vids and am stoked ......seems like sit towards front of seat arms straight and hands at knees is a must. pumped now and can't wait......

tg0824SSVGG
06-07-2010, 11:58 PM
always look at the back of the boat ... ALWAYS move your body as a whole, don't twist at the waist ... NEVER make LARGE or fast movements and NEVER NEVER NEVER push on your feet - you won't like what that does.

The position you refer to doc most people call the "Super man" -- or "safety" position.
Alwasy return to that if things get HINKY

docdrs
06-08-2010, 12:18 AM
here is one of my first attempts....any help is greatly appreciated, and have a good laugh:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piu-SckOnhI

SupraTamu
06-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Pushing on the feet may be one of the problems when I did that it nose dived when trying to get up. It is going to talke a little time to get the slalom sking out of my head. The part I seem to be having an issue with is when to start leaning forward when being pulled up but eventually I will get it. It really looks like a lot of fun and I have seen alot of first time attempts on youtube so it does not make you feel as bad. I have never had issues in the past getting up on any water toys but this is a different story.

SupraTamu
06-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Todd,

I have the same boat as you and have been looking on line at some of the different sky ski racks. Do you recall what size the tubing is on the tower? Any suggestions on a rack? They are pretty pricey.

tg0824SSVGG
06-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Guys - I am a TOTAL foiling rookie - I am still working to get up, so I am
probably not the right one for giving advice. However, my wife is the number 4 rated
women foiler in the world!

Tamu - I use the "Comptech" racks -- (www.skyski.com) I have one that swivels and one that doesn't.

We have to get those monster sharp devices out of the boat, so while the racks
are expensive, they are well worth it - the first time you slice a foot/ankle/shin
you will wish you had them

The Samson racks (samsonsports.com) are also VERY nice, and they are well
built.

I can't remember the tubing size, I think it's 2 3/8 -- but either of those vendors
should be able to tell you - they sell a lot of racks for Supra's.

Let me know if you need anything else - I am well connected in the foiling community.

My wife and I put on the "United States Hydrofoiling Association" National Championship
each year.

It's coming soon (too soon, so much to do) -- in Windsor Colorado, July 15-18

the "Indmar USHA Nationals" also sponsored by "Supra, MasterCraft, Malibu, CinchMax products, Samson Sports, the local WetSounds dealer, a local auto body shop, etc.

It's a great time - all the professional riders will be there - as well as novices.

www.ushanationals.com

docdrs
06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I picked up a 2010 comptech swivel from one of todd's buds. if you have a 2010 board i think you need a 2010 rack as these boards are thicker.Todd is right when i put my ski together i said where the hell am i going to put that so ..more $$$....oh well it does look cool on the boat.....I like the swivel easier to get the board on for sure

SupraTamu
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
DOCDRS,

Tried the hydrofoiling again last week I can now get up on it and stay on it for about 20 seconds then start porposing and wipe out. I just watched a video on you tube ABE vs Sky Ski he is a beginner and they started him out by taking the front foil off (which causes lift) and he learned how to steer and get a feel for it. Then later that day they added the front foil back. I am going to give this method a shot and see if it works. Seemed to have helped him alot. I will tell you it is a totally different feeling and am totally hooked on this thing.

tg0824SSVGG
06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Tamu,

I have done that - taking the front wing off -- it does help

SupraTamu
06-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Todd,

I am going to give taking the front foil off a shot and hopefully that will help me with getting feel for it.

tg0824SSVGG
06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Another trick that is not as dramatic is to tie a small rope around the base of the t-bar and around the back wing. That also serves to kill the lift.