PDA

View Full Version : Swim platform chipping

hckyman37
06-02-2010, 11:34 AM
On the edge of my swim platform the fiberglass has a rather decent size chip out of it.

How or where should I get this fixed?
Is it even possible to fixe?
What cost am I going to be looking at?

Should I leave it on or will further damage the platform? fill with water? etc.

Thanks!!

tg0824SSVGG
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Mine too - at the moment, I am just ignoring it ...

natemclain
06-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I have a 2002 Launch SSV and my swim platform has the black neoprene on it and it is starting to peel off.
Any idea where you can get some replacement material, or better yet a teak swim platform?

Fman
06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
I have a 2002 Launch SSV and my swim platform has the black neoprene on it and it is starting to peel off.
Any idea where you can get some replacement material, or better yet a teak swim platform?

A lot of people are getting the seadeck pads with good reviews, I will probably do mine this winter. Here is the link:

http://www.seadekstore.com/supra.aspx

Fman
06-02-2010, 05:43 PM
My swim platform fiberglass has a rather decent size chip out of it.

How or where should I get this fixed?
Is it even possible to fixe?
What cost am I going to be looking at?

Should I leave it on or will further damage the platform? fill with water? etc.

Thanks!!

That is a basic gelcoat repair, where is it chipped? If its on the edge of the platform might be worth considering a rub rail to cover it up. Installed one on mine this year and I have already noticed it helping with boards hitting the platform.

Blackntan90
06-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Very sharp, F-man!

hckyman37
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
F-man, if you look at the second picture of yours my chip would be located in the upper right corner edge of the platform. I will take pics tomorrow and post them.

Fman
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
F-man, if you look at the second picture of yours my chip would be located in the upper right corner edge of the platform. I will take pics tomorrow and post them.

The rub rail probably wont cover it up if its on the upper corner, you will need to have a gel coat guy repair it. I would bet its a $50/less repair job.

hckyman37
06-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Here is a picture of the damage....

jet
06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
You could sand and smooth it out and then touch it up with paint. That way your eyes wouldnt be drawn to it. Jet

Fman
06-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Here is a picture of the damage....

A gel coat repair tech will be able to fix that with no problems, especially white which is an easy color to match up. Call your local dealer and ask for a reference of who they use to repair gel coats.