PDA

View Full Version : Water in the gas tank

BigCity444
06-02-2010, 12:03 PM
First time getting towed...ever. Good karma has its perks.

So I have water in my tank. Don't know if it was a bad fill up or didn't do enough stabilizer. I never run the boat on land, never had an issue. This will change that. Either way...

Have any of you ever heard of letting the boat sit (on a trailer) for over a week to let the gas/water separate then trying to drain from the bottom of the tank by suction? Its a FULL 30 gallon tank so draining 7 - 10 gallons may very well achieve the same results?

Thoughts???

docdrs
06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I routinely put stp gas treatment in my tank to remove the water, cheap and never had a prob in 10 years,plus stabil near the end of the season as well ass at the end when i'm winterizing it and toping off the tank

michael hunter
06-05-2010, 06:26 PM
The water will separate within an hour of stopping. Go ahead with your plan to remove the fuel If possible try to get some samples in a clear bottle to see when you stop getting water.
After you get out as much as you can add 2 bottles of Heet gas treatment it will combine with ant water that is left and allow the engine to burn it.

beast 496
06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
DO NOT use HEET, this product contains alcohol, That is the problem. The alcohol in the HEET product absorbs the water, but the problem is when you use with ethonal fuel, the compounding alcohol attracts more water/moisture from the air. Just suck out the water, Don't you have a fuel/water seperating filter? If not invest in one and replace at least yearly, cheap insurance for fuel problems. These type of problems are not going away, especially for trailered boats which normally use automotive fuel, ie Ethonal. I recommend using Sta Bil Marine formula at every fill up. This is the blueish colored formula. Al

LloydP
06-07-2010, 08:45 AM
After having had to replace a fuel pump due to corrosion, my mechanic suggested the same action as Beast496 recommends. Before that, I did not even realize there was a specific marine formula.