PDA

View Full Version : Push Button Start

KG's Supra24
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
ScottnAZ ...

I know you were working on the push button start. Did you ever get it finished? Give us a little info.

You ended up running a main toggle (on/off) switch, right? Then did the push button for starting the motor and shutting it down?

ScottnAz
06-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Hey KG,
I was/am trying to solve a couple issues with the push button start. What I am attempting to do is actually use my Perko switch as the main on/off for the boat, and the push button for the run and off. So, my day would start with turning the batteries on with the Perko and lauch the boat. All the start/stop's for the morning would be maintained with the push of a single button. Then when we break for lunch, I'd turn the batteries to off so no-one could start the boat unintentionally. (fyi-my stereo is always on, no matter the battery position). And after lunch, I'd switch the batteries back on, and use the push button in the same manner as I did in the morning session.

To do this, I need to make a momentary push button work as a momentary AND latching button all in one. This requires 5 relays, and 2 diodes in addition to the push button. I have/had the relays/diodes/switch all wired up and hooked up for testing, however, once installed and tested there was chattering in the relays and so it's back to the drawing board. I have shelved the install for the time being as I continue to do some more research. I may need to switch out the relays to a mechanical type relay to solve the chattering problem, but this may not prove to be cost effective. From what I've been able to find, those relays are $20+ as compared to the $3 per Tyco relay I've currently tried using.

I do know an install can be done utilizing 2 buttons, 1 to act as the latching button to turn on the accessories, and another button to act as the momentary pulse to turn trigger the starter. To turn the boat off, the 1st button would be pressed to latch off the power to the starter. It would also be very simple to use the key as the on/off of the power to the starter, and a push button for the starting purposes. I contemplated both of these, but don't think it would be worth doing unless I can have everything controlled from one single push button. And therefore, gaining extra cool points :)

I'll post more info and wiring diagrams for those interested.

bryan632
06-12-2010, 01:25 PM
That just gave me what may be the coolest idea ever. I work on Fighter aircraft and I may be able to "acquire" a stick grip and modify it a bit to work as my throttle and move all my ignition stuff to the trigger and buttons on that. the trigger has 2 detents so the first throw could work as the latching accessory/run switch and the second throw could run the starter. there are also directional switches on it that could be used for the cavitation plate and ballast fill. the "pickle" (fire) button could be used for lights etc. anyways, it's a hair-brained idea and maybe not worth sharing but it might be a cool way to go if I dig into the wiring on a big scale.

ScottnAz
06-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Here's the wiring diagram I've been working from;

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/lake%20pictures/pushrelays.jpg

The diodes can be found at Radio Shack, part # 1N4001

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/woodwrangler/lake%20pictures/photo-45.jpg

kodybyron
06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
yall have waaayyy to much time on your hands OR your like me and ADD..gosh i love this forum and people like us...i mean a throttle control for a aircraft used to control a boat! hahah love it!