PDA

View Full Version : Cup Holder options?

wotan2525
06-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I know I'm asking a lot of questions lately but it's starting to get really warm and I'm remembering all the things on my boat that still drive me crazy!

Number 1 today? No cupholders. None. The boat hasn't had them since I owned it. I love the look of the factory speaker pods + cupholders and was going to try and build some but I won't be able to sew the vinyl and am worried it's going to look strictly ghetto. I was thinking of cutting the triangle(ish) shaped back with the speaker cut-out, then screwing/gluing a perpendicular brace that would hold 2 stainless cupholder inserts and then stretching vinyl and upholstery padding around the whole thing. Would it look super cheesy without any sewn hems? Is there going to be an easier way to get something done?

I experimented with some of those wire basket cupholders a few years back. They didn't last very long and looked TERRIBLE!

Any other simple/easy solutions that look and last?

87SunSportMikeyD
06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
That's really weird how come yours doesn't have any??? Not to brag or anything but my 87 SunSport has eight factory cupholders... :p

Are there any surfaces where you could just cut a hole and drop in a standard cupholder?

wotan2525
06-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Someone removed them when they redid the upholstery and I've never been able to find any again.... I don't think there are any flat surfaces that I could drop them in. So frustrating!

beast 496
06-06-2010, 11:22 AM
My problem is the cupholders in our 85 Beast are from the olden days of only cans. The size is too small for a 20 oz. I could install new current SST but some areas were tooled only for the smaller holders. I guess they do work great for the MP3 and cell phone. Al

87SunSportMikeyD
06-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Beast you can always buy the new bigger ones and drill out a few cupholders to be the large size.

Wotan Here are some of mine on flat surfaces. You dont even have these ones? How is that possible as some of these places are not covered by vinyl.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3478/medium/Interior4aedit.jpg

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3478/medium/Interior5aedit.jpg

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3478/medium/Interior2edit.jpg

wotan2525
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
The engine cover was re-upholstered without the cupholders or the back little storage compartment. I can see in the original plastic doghouse that there was certainly never any cupholders there (though maybe I can just drill/glue/drop some in? Not sure if there's enough clearance.... something to try!)

In front of the windshield I dont' believe my boat is as flat as yours... on the drivers side there is the anchor light mount in the way.

In front of the observers seat is a glovebox on mine (but... I'm thinking I might be able to drill one to the left of it.)

Great ideas and I'm going to check thse spots out!!

87SunSportMikeyD
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
My doghouse is very well insulated and the cupholders dont even get hot when the engine does. Good luck!! Personally I would still get the black plastic because they are like half the price. Not chrome though waaaaaaaaahhh! lol. You can still get the bigger newer ones too.