PDA

View Full Version : Night Surfing

KG's Supra24
06-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I have seen a couple people mention they do it. Does anyone know the actually law on this. I know it could be state by state law but wasn't sure if anyone knew anything. Reason for saying that, we asked a water patrol at a local boat show if it was legal and it went like this ... "surfing? not sure what that is but i probably wouldnt do it at night".

That answer only def isnt going to keep me from doing it, so ...

Is it legal or not? What lights do you use to turn around. I hae tower lights i think will work great for surfing but no good for turning around coming back to the rider. Figured a spot light, docking lights, or moonlight?

ScottnAz
06-07-2010, 12:22 AM
No behind the boat activities are legal after sunset in AZ. :(

It is illegal to tow a person(s) on water skis, surfboard, or other similar device from sunset to sunrise.

jaywidhalm
06-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Here in WA anywater sports are illegal 1/2 hour after dusk or before dawn. It is a state by state thing, but I would guess that most states are about the same. With that being said, when we do ski or board at night we use a spotlight and have the rider carry glow sticks. When they fall or let go they hold them as high in the air as possible to be seen. Navigation, anchor, and docking lights are all on.
Although it can be dangerous, it definitely is fun and a totally different experience. I am sure the ticket is super expensive if you get caught though!!

ngavchris
06-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Regardless of the laws, sounds like a good way for someone to get hurt or killed. Definitely against the law in GA.

ACF
06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
It is not only on the water that we see evolution in progress.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/

It might be fun to jump out of airplanes and "surf" on the wind too. Do it in the dark, without the restriction of a bulky chute, and it would be fun right up until you hit the ground.

I see bass boats flying down the river full throttle at night with nothing but a jackplate and prop in the water.

I have also seen enough water logged trees, stumps, and other floatsome on the river, to know that if I am on the water at night, I will be going slow. Exactly like the old man I am.

Maybe some folks don't want to ever get old, but I think it beats the alternatives, and is well worth the effort it takes to get here.

Supra-in-steamboat
06-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Full moon sessions are fun... With that out there- EXTREME caution must be utilized. Everyone who commented is right. It is dangerous, it can be tricky. It is a ton of fun. We do it only on a PRIVATE lake and only once or twice a season. Marine laws exist for a reason. Although I don't think the first offense ticket is that steep- I wouldn't want to have to explain to an officer why we were being dumb after dark.
If you choose to have an after dark session- bring tons of lights, glow sticks, etc... We had @12 sticks on the platform underside. Toss a glow stick on the dock/boat ramp as well. Also remember it is your own fault if/when someone get hurt. This activity is inherently dangerous to begin with. Adding darkness definetly take it up a notch. Good luck.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
We have never done it during full night time, but we ride untill the sun sets and it's semi-dark. It's a state-by-state law, and I got ticketed a few years ago for riding back to the dock after sunset. $135 ticket, not that bad.

Water Dog
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
We run glow sticks on a necklace and a battery powered glow light on lifevests (Wouldn't be a bad idea to attach a light to the board, as we've temporarily misplaced a board in the darkness a time or two). 6 lights on back light bar light it up like day light and 4 lights running forward, 2 hand spots. Running at 10 mph +/- you're not as apt to loose the position of your surfer like you would at 20 mph plus with a wakeboarder or skier. Night surfing entails an extreme heightened sense of awareness from driver and all on board. The fact that you are lit up light a Christmas tree on the 4th of July means you can see, but it also means the Sheriff can see you from 30miles away
We played cat & mouse with the Sheriff one night, shutting down to stealth mode engine off (try and snuff a sheesh load of glow sticks in 15 seconds notice), then he would shut down, then we would go a little ways and he would follow our sound and then we would shut down & on and on and on... I think we got about a 1/4 mile apart from each other at one point but got away unscathed. A ticked off Sheriff can write a very large ticket I'm thinking.

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent Supra or "The Blog". Don't try this at home, the stunts featured in this chat were performed by wanna be professionals. Neither you nor your dumb little buddies should ever, under any circumstances, attempt to perform any of the stunts found in this blog. You have been warned.

Matt Laird
06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
HAHA, a post with a disclaimer, thats perfect...

FYI, I have never done any WakeSurfing during the day... Only @ night f/11p-2am

Gravity08
06-07-2010, 09:31 PM
HAHA, a post with a disclaimer, thats perfect...

FYI, I have never done any WakeSurfing during the day... Only @ night f/11p-2am

Who are the idiots that took you that late? haha. Still getting that video ready to post on youtube.

We use the Roswell tower lights for back lights. When the moon is out the rider can hold the board up and the light will catch the bottom. We usually wait until atleast midnight to even start making our way to the water. Making sure that all boats are out of the area we have scouted out. We do have glow sticks and a mega flash light but they always seem to get left on shore for some reason.

Not sure of the legality of night surfing. If you surf without the rope you arnt really being pulled behind the boat? But never been caught so dont know.

docdrs
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
thats a good point.......you aren't being pulled if you are surfing and one can do a off platform entry so no rope is used at anytime...:) a technicality but may be enough.....just like Bill.(I never had direct relations with that boat):)

sybrmike
06-07-2010, 10:04 PM
As far as the glow stick evidence - just carry some scuba gear with you. Night diving is perfectly legal. Or crank up the stereo & say you're having a floating rave party...

Legal Schmegal - piss off Johnny Law bad enough & you're gonna get ticketed, towed, impounded, & cavity searched. Have fun, but be smart (not smart a$$) if you're caught. "They" can always find something.

iwakeboard
06-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't see why it'd be really dangerous to surf at night =\ That's just me personally, if you have enough natural light or even tower lights I could see it being completely harmless. With that said, yes, it's absolutely illegal and you should never ever do it ever under any circumstances ever simply because it's illegal.

01launch
06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
we run two under water leds green and no tower light just surfing in green light up water so much fun don't need a moon.

saltare inverts
06-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I have only wakeboarded a night. Its a rush to land a backroll on a glowing wake from tower speakers. It is weird when you fall and your waiting for boat to swing around and find you. That weight is creepy. Floating in water in middle of a big lake with a fish attracting glow stick around your neck. Yes it is illegal. Yes it is a complete rush.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Someone needs to get some pics. :)

blaze5012
06-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Here is a video of my doing a tantrum last summer. It is kind of hard to see, but I have a glow stick on my life jacket and about halfway through the video the tower lights light me up as i hit the wake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwiHI-Oi_Tc
________
Honda Wiki (http://www.honda-wiki.org/)

KG's Supra24
06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I believe i have all the ingredients to for a night surf. Gonna test it out this weekend!

Water Dog
06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Love the video post Blaze - And the crowd goes wild..!
Makes me laugh :)