PDA

View Full Version : 2005 22SSv Rack bolts

Number45
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
This past weekend I noticed on the rear mounts of my rack that they seem to be vibrating a lot. I see that only the two outside holes are actually bolted to the haul and then hole on the top appears to be a screw into the hull. This screw isn't tight and you can't seem to tighten it at all it just spins but it doesn't seem to want to come out either. Wondering if anyone has any ideas why they would do this. I am thinking I should pull the two screws out and drill the hole all the way through the hull and replace them with bolts versus taking the screws out and trying to glue them. Anyone done this or have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

waterboy2010
07-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Does anyone have an answer for this post? I am having the same problem with my rack. A couple of screws are not 100% tight and just keep spinning around like they are stripped out. I am not willing to hook the wakeboard up until it is tight. Don't won't to tear anything up.

Sluggo
07-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I think we need a picture or better description of what you are talking about. The wakeboard rack fingers, swivels, or mount to the tower? Or are you talking about the rear legs of the tower? I have a 2005 22 SSV and so far no issues with screws stripping out.

Number45
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
I was able to get the old screws out. I went to menards and got stainless steel screws that were a little longer and used bolts and washers. I have no vibrations any longer.

saltare inverts
07-14-2010, 07:24 PM
I still want to know were this is on the boat, what screws are they?

wakejmpr
07-14-2010, 09:00 PM
yeah a pic would be great. i have the swivel racks and have completly taken them apart all the way down so if you include a pic i can help walk you guys through fixing them

jonyb
07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
He misspelled hull by typing "haul", which is what threw you guys off.

He's talking about the bottom legs on the rear of the tower, where the tower bolts to the hull.

Number45, did you use a backing plate? That would probably be a good idea. Lots of pressure on those screws.

waterboy2010
07-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I am talking about the rear legs on the rack that bolt to the hull. I will try and post some pics tomorrow if I have time. Is it best to just take out the screws and do bolts as said earlier?

saltare inverts
07-15-2010, 08:25 AM
My tower has bolts lock nuts washers and backing plates on every leg (six). Was that not factory?

iwakeboard
07-15-2010, 12:33 PM
This past weekend I noticed on the rear mounts of my rack that they seem to be vibrating a lot. I see that only the two outside holes are actually bolted to the haul and then hole on the top appears to be a screw into the hull. This screw isn't tight and you can't seem to tighten it at all it just spins but it doesn't seem to want to come out either. Wondering if anyone has any ideas why they would do this. I am thinking I should pull the two screws out and drill the hole all the way through the hull and replace them with bolts versus taking the screws out and trying to glue them. Anyone done this or have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Are you talking about the mounting feet on the tower? If so, they aren't screws they are bolts. If you sit there and try to screw them in from the top of the boat they will sit and rotate in place because you need to get someone inside the boat to hold the nut (think it's a nyloc) while you tighten it up.

wakejmpr
07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
I just fixed mine the other day. There are the three bolts that hold the foot down to the hull (there should be four) and are held in by 1/4 nylock nuts. You'll need to get to the under side of the bolts to hold the nut. The easy way is take out the left speaker that sits under the rear foot and then you can get a socket in there to hold the nylock nut. You'll need a deep well socket and I want to say it should be 7/16. I would also advise going to either home depot or a marine store and grab something to use as a backing plate. Mine had three crappy washers that were destroyed and almost pulled through.

docdrs
07-15-2010, 08:29 PM
my tower has thru hull bolts w backing plates n washers........but just above the feet there is a small allen set screw that is missing on 3 ofmy tower feet. the one that is present squeeks one hell of a lot on rough water.......are these needed? are the just used during tower mounting? there is no noise coming from the other feet and these are not the big allen bolts.......they are about 1/4 : in diamater and 1/4" long...not very big to do much other than cause noise