PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Kicker system

sc_beerbarge
06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Any idea how this was wired from the factory? My assumption is the towers are wired to 8 ohms instead of 2. Lord knows how they wired the 6 cabin speakers in the 5 channel amp.

My towers arfter very little use and a bunch of bitching to the dealer along with 3 unanswered e-mails to skierschoice are non functional.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fman
06-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Try this number:

Voice 865.983.9924

I have had success with that number in getting in contact with someone, but I feel your frustration with the emails, they rarely return them for some reason.

jonyb
06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Dont email and dont leave messages. They don't know how to return calls and emails AT ALL! Early this year I was talking to Reed, and most of the time he would answer the phone. That's the only way.

As for the stereo, SC has no business wiring up these stereo's. You can get a voltmeter and check the impedance on how they've got it wired.

I don't know, but imagine they are using 2 channels to power the towers. I havent worked on a newer one then mine yet, so I can't tell for sure. For the in-boats, they may have used a couple channels off of the head unit, which is a joke..... Look under the dash to where the radio is at and see if anything's connected to the speaker outputs.

KG's Supra24
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Agreed with above. The way these are wired is a joke.

I used trial and error by pulling RCA's and/or speaker wires from the amp. I ended up rewiring my in boats with new wires because I gave up on figuring out what they did. My driverside cockpit speakers went all over the place, i gave up hope after following them to the bow and started with the pulling wires from the amp. The sub output on my headunit wasnt even used! 2 sets of RCA's and 2 sets of speaker wire were running 10 speakers and a sub!! I'm no expert but that has to be some type of royal f up.

I followed one set of speaker wire out of the amp to the tower. The other set circled around the boat somehow. I know thats not much help as far as channels and ohms go but, like i said, im not that knowledgable. I just know it is wrong.

KG's Supra24
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I think the bow was wired to the head unit direct.

and disclaimer on all my comments. i had the kenwood setup.

sc_beerbarge
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I think the bow was wired to the head unit direct.

and disclaimer on all my comments. i had the kenwood setup.

Mines the kenwood headunit with kickers. I'll take a look friday. I think one of the fronts blew this weekend.

I was thinking of wiring the 2 fronts to the front channels at 4 ohms and the 4 rears at 2 ohms.

Placed a call to skiiers choice. Went to voicemail and zero'd out. Got the operator and then back to voice mail.

Sucks having a good set up that doesn't work worth a crap.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Their main number is 1-800-320-2779 you should get an operator. Ask for Anthony in parts of else say you need electrical help on your new Supra and they will get you to a live person. I have called them many times and have never had trouble getting ahold of someone. I have even called about other members questions.....

sc_beerbarge
06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Their main number is 1-800-320-2779 you should get an operator. Ask for Anthony in parts of else say you need electrical help on your new Supra and they will get you to a live person. I have called them many times and have never had trouble getting ahold of someone. I have even called about other members questions.....

I got a call back from Anthony. He referred me to Rob and am awaiting a call back from him.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Please let me know if you have any further issues contacting someone.

sc_beerbarge
06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Please let me know if you have any further issues contacting someone.

No call back from Rob today. :(
Sucks...I have a poker run this weekend and would like to get the damn thing working worth a crap.

eta: Thanks for any assistance you can lend. This has drug out for a couple months and my patience is statrting to wear very thin considering how much I paid for this boat.

jonyb
06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh wow, someone else to take my place on the soapbox......

Beerbarge, I don't know who Rob is but Im gonna go out on a limb and assume that they won't know anything about how the stereo is wired.

Is there only 1 amp in the boat? What is it? 700.5? You'll need 4 channels for the boat speakers, 2 channels for the tower speakers, and 1-2 channels for the sub.

Also, where are you located?

sc_beerbarge
06-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh wow, someone else to take my place on the soapbox......

Beerbarge, I don't know who Rob is but Im gonna go out on a limb and assume that they won't know anything about how the stereo is wired.

Is there only 1 amp in the boat? What is it? 700.5? You'll need 4 channels for the boat speakers, 2 channels for the tower speakers, and 1-2 channels for the sub.

Also, where are you located?

Boat is on lake Hartwell in SC. It has 2 amps. The 700.5 driving the cabin and a smaller 2 channel (150.2 or 250.2) driving the tower.

I know I can figure it out. I just hate to waste 1/2 a day + rewiring. Pisses me off since it sure isn't rocket science.

eta: what pisses me off the most is 3 e-mails and not a single reply.

tg0824SSVGG
06-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Beer,

Sorry SC is not responding - they seem to have a problem with that (but don't get JOHN started ;o) )

My boat was for sure hooked up with the tower speakers done wrong. Before they blew, I re-wired them (just in the cans) and got 2-3x the volume, because they were now done correctly, and Amps don't get nearly as HOT!

Are yours blown?

sc_beerbarge
06-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Beer,

Sorry SC is not responding - they seem to have a problem with that (but don't get JOHN started ;o) )

My boat was for sure hooked up with the tower speakers done wrong. Before they blew, I re-wired them (just in the cans) and got 2-3x the volume, because they were now done correctly, and Amps don't get nearly as HOT!

Are yours blown?

I don't think the speakers are blown......but the 2 channel amp keeps going into protect. Speakers can only be wired to 2 ohm or 8 ohm. My guess is 8 ohms. If the 2 channel is blown so be it. But I really don't want to fry the 5 channel.

Aside from the non-responsiveness from SC the dealer hasn't really helped either.

Only speaker I think is blown is in the bow. No biggy I have a pair of phoenix gold comps I'll thown in if need be. The 5 channel gets pretty darn hot for not really running it very hard either.

You'd think for as much as we spend on these boats I'd get a bit of service.

jonyb
06-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't think the speakers are blown......but the 2 channel amp keeps going into protect. Speakers can only be wired to 2 ohm or 8 ohm. My guess is 8 ohms. If the 2 channel is blown so be it. But I really don't want to fry the 5 channel.

Aside from the non-responsiveness from SC the dealer hasn't really helped either.

Only speaker I think is blown is in the bow. No biggy I have a pair of phoenix gold comps I'll thown in if need be. The 5 channel gets pretty darn hot for not really running it very hard either.

You'd think for as much as we spend on these boats I'd get a bit of service.

Don't expect it here. They don't even look at their own website. Good luck on getting an answer.... Like I said, burn the phone up.

If a speaker is blown, the amp will go into protect. A blown speaker shows a dead short between the 2 terminals. Distortion is what blows speakers, in case you guys dont know. Is there not a local car audio shop you can ask? If they're wired to 8ohm, the amp is only putting out half the power it's rated at.

Skulls
06-10-2010, 02:16 AM
Any idea how this was wired from the factory? My assumption is the towers are wired to 8 ohms instead of 2. Lord knows how they wired the 6 cabin speakers in the 5 channel amp.

My towers arfter very little use and a bunch of bitching to the dealer along with 3 unanswered e-mails to skierschoice are non functional.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My tower speakers were wired in parallel and the amp would cut off every time I turned the stereo up past a certain point. Took it back to the dealer a couple of times and all they did was turn the gain down on the amp. I eventually pulled the speakers and rewired them in series at the speaker. I haven’t had a problem since. My boat is a 08 20 SSV, but did not come from the factory with the tower speakers. I bought it last year while they were running the pimp my tower special so the dealer installed the amp and tower speakers after I purchased it.

jonyb
06-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't think SC wires the tower speakers. I was at the dealer with the owner of that place rolled in with my boat, and it was still in shrinkwrap. the tower had to be put together, speakers/lights wired, etc....

SC does wire the stereo for the in-boats, amps, and subs, but once again, they either need to hire a dedicated audio person or quit. Most of what I've seen from there is pitiful at best.

sc_beerbarge
06-10-2010, 11:09 AM
2nd voice mail left for Rob at SC.

jonyb
06-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Try Reed......

sc_beerbarge
06-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Try Reed......

I will. If I didn't return calls in my job I'd be fired though. I'll give this guy till 2 PM and then try Reed.

I will say Anthony called me right back though.

sc_beerbarge
06-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I will. If I didn't return calls in my job I'd be fired though. I'll give this guy till 2 PM and then try Reed.

I will say Anthony called me right back though.

e-mail now sent to Rob Loucks...sheesh

eta: no reply......2 vm's and an e-mail directly.....nada. Total now of 5 e-mails to sc and nothing. $45,000 boat and all I get is the gains adjusted by the dealer.

Skulls
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Save yourself the headache, pull the speakers, and fix them yourself. Only took a couple of hours and very little wire. My dealer also screwed the two screws on top of the LEDs all the way down catching the speaker wires and shorting them out. You’ll waste more time trying to get them fixed through the dealer.

ScottnAz
06-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Agreed, BUT..... then there's no incentive for SC or the SC Dealers to start doing things right. If we all continue to fix their f-up's, then why would they start doing things correctly in the first place?

And for that matter, this encompasses far more than just SC. :)

jonyb
06-10-2010, 11:31 PM
e-mail now sent to Rob Loucks...sheesh

eta: no reply......2 vm's and an e-mail directly.....nada. Total now of 5 e-mails to sc and nothing. $45,000 boat and all I get is the gains adjusted by the dealer.

Same exact thing I went through for 2 years, but my boat was a lot more expensive. Preaching on here doesnt do any good, nobody here seems to want to hear it, or they say that they've had no problems getting in contact. Not to mention, no one at SC comes on this board.

SupraTamu
06-11-2010, 08:42 AM
I called the 1-800-320-2779 around 7:40 am CST Thursday morning for I had a few questions and Anthony answered the phone and answered my questions.