PDA

View Full Version : BEP VSR switch....

mapleleaf
06-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Rewired my stereo and batt. switch over the last two nights and fired it up tonight. What was weird is that I had the batt. switch on batt. 1 and my amp and sub are wired to batt. 2 (where there is no batt, yet) but the amp was pushing a broken bit of music through the sub, when I switched to batt.1 &2 the signal was clear through the sub. Is this normal? My head unit is still wired through the factory boat wiring and running off batt. 1 What would be powering the amp and sub if there was no 2nd batt. to do so????? (while only switched to batt. 1)
What setting should I have the switch on when lkistening to the stereo with the motor off?? batt. 2??? ( planning on rewiring the head unit to batt 2 as well)

wotan2525
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I have no idea how your amp was playing if it's not hooked up to a power source.... there has to be a connection somewhere! What is the + wire on the amp hooked up to????

I'm not personally familiar with that switch but it looks like you should just always leave it set to switch 1. This leaves the #2 battery to serve as a "reserve battery" and it should be wired to be powering your stereo. When the engine is running it will kick back over to charge both batteries.... You should only flip over to battery #2 (or 1/2) when battery one is dead for some strange reason and you still need to start the engine. Keep in mind that by doing it this way you have the advantage of always having a fresh starting battery.... the disadvantage is that you'll need to remember to throw a charger on battery #2 if you listen to the stereo for long periods of time without driving.

I have a similar setup on mine but bank #2 is (3) big deep cycles. I also have a 160amp alternator and still plug mine into the charger every night.

beast 496
06-10-2010, 11:15 PM
the BEP switch is automatic for switching and charging. When you fired up the boat, the amp was pulling power and the switch was allowing power to flow. Install the second battery. Al

mapleleaf
06-12-2010, 12:25 AM
2nd batt. in case closed......thanks Al......

docdrs
06-13-2010, 05:36 PM
All the music was coming from the head unit and flowing thru the amp but just using the head power thats why it was minimal . when you switched to 1+2 then you joined batteries and then the amp had power.... leave the switch on 1 that way if your not running but listening to the stereo you wont drain your starting battery imo