PDA

View Full Version : My 7 year old got up on his 1st pull....BUT

sc_beerbarge
06-09-2010, 11:04 AM
If the board gets behind him when he's in the water after falling he really struggles to get it back in front of him. Any easy technique to teach for the kids to get turned back around? I'm a noob myself.

Overall, great day at the lake. Gotta love the week days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/308gtsi/IMG00094-20100607-1223.jpg

Fman
06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Congrats to your son! My 7 year old started last year, what speed are you towing him at? I tow my 7 year old at 15-16 mph, and shorten the rope up at about 60', this makes it nice because they are a little closer to the boat and when they start jumping they will get a better wake. Its near impossible to get a clean wake at 16 mph, but having the shorter rope length puts them in a better place in the wake.

It took my son a few times to figure out how to flip the board around after falling, having him tuck and roll seemed to help him out. My son was also using a 134 which is a large board for his size, but it gets him up easy and is more foregiving when they ride.

sc_beerbarge
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Congrats to your son! My 7 year old started last year, what speed are you towing him at? I tow my 7 year old at 15-16 mph, and shorten the rope up at about 60', this makes it nice because they are a little closer to the boat and when they start jumping they will get a better wake. Its near impossible to get a clean wake at 16 mph, but having the shorter rope length puts them in a better place in the wake.

It took my son a few times to figure out how to flip the board around after falling, having him tuck and roll seemed to help him out. My son was also using a 134 which is a large board for his size, but it gets him up easy and is more foregiving when they ride.

It was his first time so I was pulling at 10-11 till he gets a bit more balance. He took a couple face plants but kept on going. I'll try shortening the rope next time. He shoots straight outside though.

I have to get comfortable pulling him as well. He doesn't weigh much so just a bit of throttle and he pops straight up.

Any other advice on working with children is always appreciated.

eta: I bought him a 119cm board.

Hematoma
06-09-2010, 10:24 PM
When I was teaching my boy I would pull up next to him and help him around after afew times he figured it out on his own. once he got the motion down he was good to go.

Hematoma
06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
It was his first time so I was pulling at 10-11 till he gets a bit more balance. He took a couple face plants but kept on going. I'll try shortening the rope next time. He shoots straight outside though.

I have to get comfortable pulling him as well. He doesn't weigh much so just a bit of throttle and he pops straight up.

Any other advice on working with children is always appreciated.

eta: I bought him a 119cm board.Just like anything else let them go at there own pace. I made the mistake of pushing my 9 yr old boy and a week after learning he was doing 70ft wake to wake at 22 miles an our. I burned him out on falling. This season I'm just letting him play and he's taken it upon himself to go wake to wake and he's beggin us to hit the lake. That and he said he grew some ballz lol

Okie Boarder
06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
You can really back off on the throttle. I learned that as we went along with both boys. Put it in idle and then slowly increase from there. He'll pop right up before you really even get going I'm sure. Definitely try to pull up next to him and help him flip the board a few times so he can figure out how to do it on his own. 12-15 mph is good to start with and they can have a lot of fun just cruising around and figuring out how to control the board.

Oh...congrats! It's a great feeling huh?