PDA

View Full Version : Why no leash???

ssmith
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I get really tired of swimming after my boards, especially my really thick buoyant board. It pops up like a rocket at times and then gets caught in the white wash and I'm swimming forever.

I bought a 6' surf leash but haven't put it on yet. Any reason not to?

01launch
06-10-2010, 09:37 AM
If you are wearing a vest then you just have to kick but if not than it can wear you out.I never ride without a vest a have been knocked out on the water to much not to wear one. We just drag the person to the board if it is far away.

Supra-in-steamboat
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I have more of an Ocean surfing backround... In most situations if you are not used to the leash, it will be more of a harm than good. I have been rope burned by my leash thru a wetsuit before. While this is not typical, it certainly is possible. Also think about the boat element. I assume your driver is pretty careful, but it is another rope in the water.
The real reason I would reccomend against the leash is the follow factor. The board is in motion whether your on it or not. The wave energy is there. When you fall forward, the board follows you. I always cover my face/ tempels/ eyes/ area when i bail in any direction.
If you have the experience with the leash, rock it... otherwise i say do without and deal with the swimmng. I tried to attach a couple surf pics but file size must be too big, sorry. Good luck man.

ScottnAz
06-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Never thought about it Scottie
What board are you putting the leash on? Venture?
Personally, I think it'd be distracting/annoying to have a leash on the board. But that's just me.
I usually have plenty of time to swim for the board and rest while the boat is turning around (no powerturns) and idleing back for the next ride.

How does the leash attach? Do you have to drill a hole in the board, then epoxy it in place?

ssmith
06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I put it on the Venture today. I figured why not. Especially for beginners, it will keep the board closer to them and not fatigue them as much swimming for the board. Plus it has a velcro attachment so that it can be quickly removed if it's not wanted. I just removed on of the screws from the center fin and put the screw back through a not on the leash and anchored it down. It seems really secure (time will tell). I prob should've put a washer on to help hold it on a bit better. Maybe I will add a washer later.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNjUtMjAxMDA2MTEtMTYwOC5qcGc.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Boating/SU1HMDAwNzItMjAxMDA2MTEtMTYxNC5qcGc.jpg

Supra-in-steamboat
06-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Looks like that screw is kind of in the naked toes area? Did it recess a bit more when you tightened it? I definetly would recommened the leash having it's own hole. They get yanked pretty good sometimes, especially by beginner riders. It would be a bummer if it ripped out of the board leaving the fin one mounting screw short... Good luck with the current set up, the Venture does like to stay with the wave after a fall.

ssmith
06-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Looks like that screw is kind of in the naked toes area? Did it recess a bit more when you tightened it? I definetly would recommened the leash having it's own hole. They get yanked pretty good sometimes, especially by beginner riders. It would be a bummer if it ripped out of the board leaving the fin one mounting screw short... Good luck with the current set up, the Venture does like to stay with the wave after a fall.

I did recess pretty well and feels secure. I def see your point tho. It's on the center fin so if it pulls out, i still have 2 more fins, LOL! I'm prob going to try something diff though.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I have tried it on my ocean surfboard used behind the boat. It is nice. Those hand shaped boards float off forever. I have not had any issues.