PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for Shasta, any houseboat veterans out there?

Fman
06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
We are leaving for Shasta lake on Monday for a week on a houseboat, anyone have any recommendations for items to bring that we might have missed? The boat is a monster 65', triple decker, it comes stocked with everything for cooking, extra lounge chairs, etc....

I have been houseboating once before, but this is my familys first time on a houseboat so if you have anything you would recommend bringing please let us know! Off the top of my head, here is a list of some items we are bringing along....

-Easy up for top of boat
-Extra fenders to Moore boat
-Rafts, tubes
-Coffee filters/coffee
-Extra toilet paper/towels/paper plates
-Biodegradable soap for lake baths
-DVD's, games
-Lots of food, drinks, (Costco)
-Sunscreen, bug spray
-Extra towels
-Bedding
-Extra chairs
-X-15 Mastercraft and Supra 22V :D

These are some of the extra items, if you see something we are missing let us know!

Thanks....Travis

tg0824SSVGG
06-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Travis,

We go to Powell 2x a year -- and have for 10 years+

When I get home, (send me a PM to remind me) - I will try to find our "list" and send it to you. Clearly we will have things on there that you won't need, but ...

Does Shasta have any places (on lake) to get what you forget? powell really has nothing.

Fman
06-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Travis,

We go to Powell 2x a year -- and have for 10 years+

When I get home, (send me a PM to remind me) - I will try to find our "list" and send it to you. Clearly we will have things on there that you won't need, but ...

Does Shasta have any places (on lake) to get what you forget? powell really has nothing.

Todd, the list would be great, thank you.... and yes the Marina we lauching out of has a "general store" for last minute items. Shasta has about 10 different Marina's throughout the lake for fuel and other goods.

Sluggo
06-11-2010, 02:47 PM
We go once or twice a year to the TN lakes. You have the basics covered and not knowing what ammenties your houseboat will have or what you like doing during the non-skiing hours, that would probably dictate any other items. The two things I always bring is one of those portable jumper batteries and a good size extension cord. The extension coord is for charging the boat if needed and the jumper for dead batteries or if I need a power source somewhere the houseboat does not provide one. The boats we get usually have crap for sound systems if they even work, so we bring our own tunes and portable speakers. At night we will use the boats depending on how they are moored. Two years ago I took a big hit when a roller came in and the deck of the house boat came down farther than I though it could. Anyway, I changed to the bungy system which always has the tower speakers facing the house boat. This works well but my stereo remote is not RF and I have to pull the boat in to adjust volume or change Sirus stations. The bungy system saved me last year when we had a huge storm blow in and the ropes securing the house boats to the shore snapped. Sounded like a gun shot. All I had to do was untie one rope and I could get safely out of the way of the house boats. The other ski boats had trouble getting untied and one was pushed up against the shore and took some major fiberglass damage. The other sustained minor prop damage trying to escape as well. Lesson learned. Only moor against houseboat to load and unload. You never know what idiot is going to tell Capt Swanson to cruise through your cove in a cabin cruiser looking for their friends (Caddy Shack reference, lol)

Memmer99
06-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Your gonna need a Keg for the bottom and top decks. Sucks having to get out of the hot tub and run down to get a beer. Plus a Keg is less of a mess to clean up.

We always rent houseboats on either New Melones or Lake McClure near Modesto CA. I've always wanted to try Shasta and Bullards Bar. They have the clearest water from what I've heard

Do you ever ride the Delta stockton area? We're out there every weekend.

Have fun and bring us back some pics!

jaywidhalm
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Don't forget the camera and probably some extra batteries. You know we all expect a ton of pics when you get back!!

tg0824SSVGG
06-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Travis:

A few things before I get into the list.

We pre-cook as many things as we can, then freeze. (obviously this only makes sense
for some things) - to make cooking etc there as simple as possible.

These things also help keep the coolers cold on the way. Frozen milk jugs of water
work well for coolers. (and then, if you rinsed them well/washed them) - you can drink
the water when they thaw, or if the houseboat has a good freezer (not all do) then
refreeze them.

Stuff like taco meat, pulled pork, etc.

We find that fresh veggies don't keep so well, but at Powell it's 100+ degrees, Shasta
is probably not so bad.

We have varying lists, depending on whether or not we're fishing, etc - but here is the
basic one.

We also tend to either take bottled water, or water jugs from home. I find that
water from teh "storage tank" tastes "off" no matter how well you care for it.

Things to bring to Lake Powell – Updated, 2007

q Flashlights and spare batteries
q Sleeping bags
q Pillows
q Fishing Poles (trolling and casting)
q Tackle boxes
q Bait (shrimp, worms, salmon eggs and anchovies)
q Tool box – wrenches, hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, sockets, duct tape, electrical tape, DVM, hex wrenches, vise grips, channel locks, wire strippers, dikes, rags.
q Shovel
q Camcorder/Camera
q Cards
q spare batteries
q Cables
q Chargers
q Gas cans
q Towels – lots
q Lake Powell map
q Fishing nets, big and small
q Firewood
q Squeegee
q Walkie Talkies and extra batteries
q Coolers (big, medium and small)
q Drink coolers
q Water cans
q Binoculars
q Soap, shampoo and conditioner
q Toilet paper
q Compactor bags
q Trash bags
q Quart size ziplock baggies
q Wet suits/Dry Suit/Long Wet Suit
q Patch kits for tubes
q Meds:
○ Aleve/Tylenol/Motrin
○ Mylanta/Maalox
○ Immodium AD
○ Dramamine/Bonine/Meclazine
q Rubber raft and paddles
q Aluminum foil
q Anchor stakes for boat
q Fillet knife and board
q Cutter’s bug spray
q Sun tan lotion
q Aloe Vera gel
q Hot dog skewers
q Sun shade for car
q Trailer hitch locks
q Drip catcher for drink coolers
q Clothes line and clothes pins
q Tarp to cover gas cans
q Skis
q Tubes
q Battery backup and charger
q First Aid Kit
q Steri-strips
q Tincture of Benzoate
q Dish soap
q Cleaning supplies
q Grease Gun w/marine grease (Todd)
○ (this was for old trailer axles with bearing buddies)
q Extra tent stakes
q Sunglasses and hats
q Several 2 gallon water jugs
q Baking soda (for frig)
q Bucket for washing feet at Ramp!
q Grill Utensils
q Hydrofoil
q Extra parts
q GPS
q iPod

(the 'q' was a checkbox in my word doc ... )

Fman
06-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, appreciate it...

We are looking forward to it, weather is looking great and Shasta is full right now..... never have been to this lake when it has been at capacity. Went last July and it was 85 feet down and still massive. Hopefully I will get some good pics and post them up the following week!

mapleleaf
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
With the MC and the Supra, maybe a Tige to test would be good!!!

tg0824SSVGG
06-13-2010, 05:23 AM
nga ... if you meant "my" list, well ... I didn't include the food/liquor list.
(and, I guess I am showing my age, but "camcorder" is the video camera!)

As for women, well - today is my 29th anniversary - I am guessing I wouldn't have
made it this far if THAT was on the list!

Mani
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Not on your list:

-Beer
-Women
-Video camera

The man speaks the truth!

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
The Lake is awesome right now Travis. Just spent all day out there yesterday. So many places to take the houseboat now to be away from all the people its great...