PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Supra Comp

autobahnracing
06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Bilge pump quit working and when I pulled the screws out to replace it I got about 2 gallons of water that came up out of the screw holes.

I am concerned about where that water came from and what damage it might be doing inside the hull. Is it expanding when it freezes during the winter and causing damage? Is my hull delaminating? The bilge area and engine compartment are completely dry.

ngavchris
06-11-2010, 07:42 PM
The boat blues............. These things are really nice, but where never made to be in the water. Yes, that has to be discomforting to know that all that water has been hiding in your boat. 99', not supposed to be any problems with the newer models

foxriverat
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I found the same thing on my 96 comp. I dont know about the 99s. But members posted that water gets in under the rub rails. Mine had been siliconed. But wasnt in great shape. So I redid it the begining of the season. I also got a small expandable plug that are used in live wells. And drilled a hole in the bilge area. Now I can remove the plug and check it. Also talked to Anthoney at skiers choice last year about it. I was also worried about freezing and expanding. He said if it were to freeze and expand. The thin layer of glass in the bilge area would crack before the bottom of the boat would. But he never heard of it happening. I havent been able to check if I am still getting water in there. Due to the fact that I changed my shaft packing. And water got into in bilge area. And my bilge doesnt remove all the water. So there is always some water in that area when it gets in there. Since its on a lift on the water at my friends hse. I have not gotten around to shop vacuming out and checking.

Okie Boarder
06-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you have pictures of the area? I'm not sure what the difference is compared to the older Supras. Is it up front where the deep vee is?

autobahnracing
06-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I have been traveling for a week but now back at it.

Do you have pictures of the area? I'm not sure what the difference is compared to the older Supras. Is it up front where the deep vee is?

It is just forward of where the ski pole mounts. There are 5 small screw holes for mounting the bilge pump. White circle with arrow shows location of the screw holes.

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions and to ngavchris for his humor :)

autobahnracing
06-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Well thanks for the advice.

I drilled a hole like foxriverat suggested and found another 2 gallons or more of water that the shop vacuum did not pull up through the screw holes. Got it sucked up and dry, put in a plug and installed the new bilge pump. Ready to hit the water :D

foxriverat
06-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Glad I could help. Enjoy.

hawksfan
07-16-2010, 12:59 PM
I have same water issues in the belly compartment for Bilge Pump. Am I right that only solution is to drill hole in sub-floor to get to area of hull where water is building up.

Was anyone able to figure out where this water was coming from.

grrrrrrrrr